Kudos for Auto Zone: U-JOINTS! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Kudos for Auto Zone: U-JOINTS!

So need u-joints?

After going to a Big A Auto Parts, they listed greasable U-Joints for $27 and sold for $21.75. No warranty. I bought 2, one was TRW and the other was Neapc. After opening the boxes, I found both were identical. If fact, the were the same that I used to by from a Zuk vendor for $15. Oh, well overpriced, but I needed them now.

Then I remembered WildWeasel said go to Auto Zone, as they were greasable and lifetime warranty. So I went there.

Guess what???? They were identical to the others I bought and were <font color=red>$7.39</font color=red>!!!!!!!!!!ANd lifetime warranty. That's 1/3 the cost! I told the manager that I four-wheeled, he said "If you break it, bring in the pieces and receipt and we'll give you a new one, no questions." Needless to say, I returned the Big A parts.

Just figured I'd pass along the same info that came my way...and made me happy.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Kudos for Auto Zone: U-JOINTS!

Tim, I am quite a the tight wad when it comes to buying parts. I always shop prices at local auto parts stores, and luckily I have a Pep Boys, Trak Auto, NAPA, and Auto Zone all within a 2 mile radius. I have bought the same U-joints from Auto Zone in the past and they are just as good as any. I find Auto Zone usually has the best prices out of most of the big retail auto parts chains.

However, when I replaced my stock exhaust on my Samurai to get it through inspection, everywhere I checked wanted around $120 for the muffler and tailpipe together. Trak Auto wanted $37.95 for the muffler and $18.95 for the tail pipe. Everywhere else sold the two as a unit and I really only needed the muffler. I saved over $80.

I have found the same thing true with an alternator I rescently purchased for my Chevrolet. For the same exact rated alternator, some wanted as high as $130 and Pep Boys sold it for $69.95.

Our local Auto Zone and Pep Boys here will match prices for you too. You could find the part elsewhere and they will call and give you the same price. I will do that when one parts store doesn't have the price in stock but has a better price. Usually out of the two, Auto Zone or Pep Boys, one will have it in stock.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They cost about $9 here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

When you swapped flanges, did you happen to go from large to small? If so, I am looking for 2 large driveshaft flanges. Not the flange on the pinion or output shafts, but the ones on the driveshaft itself.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim,
The Auto Zone u-joints I bought from them were marked as PDQ, but made by NEAPCO (#1557). Were these the same as you got from them? I paid $8-9 for them.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yup, PDQ. Same as the Neapco and TRW joints. I've heard bad things about Neapco from a few, and great things about TRW. And to think, they are all the same. So for 7 bucks, guess which ones I'm sticking with?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are $6.99 at P Boys & A Zone here . Of course that's a 400 & 200 ,respectively, mile rd trip for me . Guess they figure Yankees make more $ - can afford higher prices.
We also have Checker (Shucks/Kragen) Auto , & here is the hot tip for hicks (drumroll).
WAY out in the country - when they have little competition - their prices are HIGHER . For instance , I had called & priced a water pump at Checker in Phoenix = $25 . Went to ShowLow AZ , same pump = $50. Told the guy they were $25 - he called - sold it to me for $25 under CUSTOMER SATIFACTION !
A Zone & Checker also sell on line.
Oh yeah zoomy , don't buy from JC Whitney - you'll probably find out why .

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Didn't know they had a website. Thanks man,

Check this out.

Water pumps - $33.99 with lifetime/no core
Oil Pumps - $97 - 2 year/no core

Other prices to match. Damn, where have they been all my life?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JC Whitney - been a While ,but the LAST TIME we ordered from them , there was a "mystery" $170 or so charge on the card. Seems we had "joined" a "buyers-club" had to jump thru lots of hoops to "resign". That sh!t just doesn't fly w/me !

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 03:44 PM

Tim--What is the part # for the AutoZone u-joints?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode