Is there a good inexpensive header? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Is there a good inexpensive header?

Can I use "Good" and "Inexpensive" when talking about a header? I thought I'd replace my stock exhaust manifold with a header while the engine's out of the car. Can anyone help?

How about PaceSetter? I know they're REALLY cheap but how well do they work? I'm not going for show. I just want a decent header....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Is there a good inexpensive header?

Everything I have read seems to say go with the Thorley. There was a site that I came across comparing the Pacesetter and the Thorley but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else has it. It showed pics of the 2 side by side and there definatly was a difference. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:44 AM
pugrocker

Go with either the Calmini or Thorley header......both are under $200.00 and will make a big difference in power (especially if you open up the exhaust). The Calmini header is a little cheaper than the Thorleys and is pratically the same design (or identical). I heard that the Pacesetter isn't a direct bolt-on and requires some modifications in order to fit properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought a cheap header once. Lasted somewhere over 1 year, got knocked by a rock on a trail, then fell apart. Big waste of money.

Keep in mind that buying junk now might cost more in the long run. After the crappo Hedman fell apart, I picked up a Thorley and its still going strong. This was back in 93 or 94.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 09:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

What kind of modifications did the Pacesetter need? Was it clearance problems around the steering shaft and frame or flange mounting interference?

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I installed the pacesetter and it bolted right on, no mods needed,ordered it from summitt raceing I think I paid $110.
Dennis

87 JX weber,header & 2" exhaust,Camo paint, removable doors.soon to have custom 2"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 07:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Damn, I wish I knew Summit carried it. I ordered mine from JC Whitney for $114 and it is taking them quite a while to deliver. Called them the other day and thay said it was on back order.

I have tried many different styles and I find that an equal length merged exhaust works great. As long as the exhaust tubing running from the mounting flange are equal length and mounted to the collector in firing order you will get a nice extraction. You also want to make sure the mounting flange has a good thickness to it. Too thin and you will be replacing exhaust gaskets endlessly. You can never get a good seal with the thinner flanges.

Yeah, there are many different ways of getting the same result and I will admit that the Thorley is a nice header, but with the money saved I can buy a larger better flowing cataytic convertor.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 02:03 AM
Old Hand

The "Thorley" is the Best!

We stopped selling the PaceSetter, sorry, but only if you modify it, is it worth the few bucks you save. It's ok for a "Street Zook", but if you get on Rocks, it's going to get screwed up.

I have another Header I like, but it too has to be worked on to make it fit 2" pipe, it's an S&S Header, got it from Victory, and it still works good.

A buddy tried the one from another company, it looked great, but it kept burning out Gaskets, from warping at the Head.

DaveAZ
Asian Auto Parts of Arizona
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run a headman,ran it on my 1.3 then swapped it to my 1.6 when I did the change.I did have to modify the collector end of the header to make it work on the taller engine height of the 1.6 ,but its been great.Of course now I've bragged it'll fall off.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 04:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a pacesetter on the Weasel, I had to cut and weld it near the end as it exited into the crossmember on my
rig. It has held up through a hard season of wheeling, with 3 gaskets being replaced. (I am going down today
to buy an aluminum one.) works good, looks like a cheap header, but by buying it And a mail order 2"catcon
I was able to install my own exhuast for under 225.00 (All the way back.) sounds nice as Zooky or MXNHID can
attest. If I had the cash I might go with the thorly, it is a nicer header. But You can use the money you save
for soem Yankee offroad hood Latches, (Tim I finally installed them!)

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode