Diff between 88 and 88.5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Diff between 88 and 88.5

Ive been searching thru posts trying to learn the difference, but no luck so far. What changed on the 88.5.

I own what I believe is an 88

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 05:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Diff between 88 and 88.5

i think the only major changes were inside. I cant remember where i read it but the dash took a different style. Probably some more interior tweaks to make it more safe. I have a 88, but havent seen a 88.5, hoping to see a lot of them and compare at the disney OK run. hope to see ya there

~Goot
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I wont be up and wheeling in time for the Disney run. So far ive completed my spoa, but still have engine to finish, and Ive got to find some wheels. I need some 15x8 or 10 with 2 inch back space. Ive got these 15x8 aluminum sawblades, but they are 4 inch back space and the tires hit the springs. Im hoping to be up and wheeling by mid to late march tho!!

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 06:42 PM

The 88.5 shifted to a different interior, I believe the engine went to a 1324cc from a 1298cc (marked on the passanger side near the tranny tunnel), the driveshaft flanges were made larger (on tcase, pinions, and shaft), I believe they changed the tranny ratios around a little for hiway cruising(?). Those are the most noteable off the top of my head.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:48 PM

front springs lost a leaf and got some sort of teflon between the leaves that softned up the front end a little from what I read on here in the past.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 08:12 PM

easiest way to tell 88 from 88.5--88 has round dash vents
88.5 has square dash vents--different steering wheel too
but could have been changed--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 08:46 AM
4xRonin

Jim, I'm some what familiar with the differences between the two. Cosmetic changes: The 88.5 has a 4 spoke steering wheel. The radio is mounted in the dash not in a box hanging under the dash. The wheels came with round holes. The grill has 4 horizontal bars. The shifter knobs were changed to a ball shape. Mechanical changes: Fifth gear was lowered slightly. The driveshaft flanges were supposed to be enlarged but none of the ones I've seen were. The brake lines are supposed to be different in the rear but I've seen 88.5's both ways (one rear line vs. two). The suspension was softened and the sway bar mounting points were changes. The radiator is aluminum and I've heard larger but I've swapped between the two and notice no difference in size. I've also heard of vacuum lines being different but I've not seen this. I have three now. Though I sold another to a friend a few months ago. Two 88's and two 88.5's. HTH

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 11:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

My 88.5 has the larger flanges. Actually the bolts are 14mm instead of the 12mm on the earlier models. I have one rear brake line. Square vents in dash. The grill is different from earlier models and can not be switched without some customizing being done. What the others have said is true of the other changes.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 09:40 PM

Jim, the others have given good info. Mine is an 88.5. As oldzuki said, the easiest way is the round dash vents in the 88 and square in the 88.5. Also, the 88.5 has a four spoke steering wheel. Mine has the small flanges on driveshaft, so after reading other posts, mine isn't the only one with them.
The engine size is on the driver side of the engine.I had to go out to the garage and look at my new motor on this one.
I got a vehicle spec sheet off of the Zukiworld online website that has a list of the spec history re Sami's. And, the 85-89 carb models were 1324cc, and the injected 90 up models had 1298cc.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction,Calmini header,2" exhaust,Breeze shackles, Rockcrawlers, 30's, Sunport top, gray suede paint (primer)
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode