SJ410 Axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SJ410 Axles

I recently bought my first Suzuki and am loving it.

I am going to do a SPOA sometime this spring. I was advised to put in Samurai axles to make my stance wider (SJ's are narrower by 2-3 inches)

As I am fairly new to this, could someone tell me what would all be involved in doing this? And what kind of cost am I looking at, and what parts do I have to replace??

Thanks in advance,
-Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SJ410 Axles

For more information: The vehicle is an 82 SJ410..

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 03:27 PM

Make sure you get 1986 or newer samurai axles, the 1985 are the same width as your axles altho the axle shafts are bigger and all the parts cept the axle shafts will work in a newer diff.
When you have the newer axles, you need to weld on the spring perches, they will be inboard more, not directly ontop of the old perches, because if you look on your truck, the shackle mounts are inline with the frme and if you look at a newer samurai they are on the outside of the frame,.. 1.5" on the front i belive, not sure if the rear is the same or not.
For the brakes, since your zuk is an 82, it has drum brakes all around. The newer front axle will have disc brakes, so yu will need the different kind of brake lines, the front brake lines from a suzuki swift work perfect for SPOA. Now for the rear, if you look there is only 1 rubber brake line, and the newer diffs have 2, except for the 89 and up i belive. When i put some newer diffs on somones 84 SJ 410, i used a little "T splitter" thing, which will turn the 1 line into 2..this works fine but your brakes may feel spongy because the newer brakes are different and the samurais have a bigger master cylinder than the SJ 410's. you will need the spring plates and ubolts from the newer truck too. now steering, the drag link on the older ones are shorter than the newer ones, if your going to cut it up and make a Z bar thats not a problem because you can just lengthen it to 30" or whatever it is.
For the driveshafts, you need to put the newer flanges on the end, on the u-joints, because the samurais have a bigger bolt pattern. This is easy because the samurai and sj 410 u joints are the same cept the sj 410s have internal snap rings on the u-joints.. Just use the external ones when you put the newer flanges on.
Remember that if you dont get gears for your new axles you might have a little problem because the stock SJ 410 gears are 4.10:1 and the 86+ samurais are 3.73:1
I think i covored evrything there, good luck..If you run into trouble i know rgd did this swap, you can always ask him for some more help.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, 2, 33's. 740 RTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the info, I should be busy for a while with this.
One question... It may seem like a dumb question.
Why are the brake lines different for the disc than for the drums?

-Jason

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 11:31 AM

The front brake lines for the drum brakes and disc are different because the disc brake calipers have a 14mm hallow bolt with 2 holes on the side which bolts one end of thebrake line to the caliper, it is stronger and doesnt need an extra bracket.. Thats jut how most brake calipers are.. With the drum brakes the brake lines have female threaded fittings on both ends.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, 2, 33's. 740 RTI
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it would be much easier to put in some spacers and or some widder rims with less backspacing

Rui Freitas

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
1º Impasse da estrada do garajau n.º 9 e 11
9125-066 Caniço
Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 09:10 AM

don't do that !
it's not really a good swap, and I personnaly regret to do it.
first at all, if you decide to do it, don't use RRO 5.5 pads, because they will not be in front of the old pads, so no reason to use them. And you will have to enlarge the hole of the right one in the frond because it will be more inside and a lot on the third member. So, make you own pads.

But you really should swap for toyota or jeep axles, really stronger and nearly the same work...

so, make the swap with suzuki axles onkly if you really want to stay zuki, if you want to make something strong, go dana or toyota.

olivier
(sorry for the english, i'm french...)
SJ410,wider samuraï axles with 5.5 SPOA, 31x10.5 on 8x15
and... soon a motor inside..

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 09:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What!?!?!?!?!

Put Toy or Heep axles on a Zook!!!!

My gawd, what has the world come to?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 12:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: What!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, the next thing you know the Jeep guys will be swapping to Scout axles, the Scout guys swapping to Chevy axles, and the Chevy guys running Rockwells. Wait, oops, that's already happened.

When in doubt, swap it out!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 12:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What!?!?!?!?!

You guys are wacked!

that's all I can say.....

DannyL
Pony Express
Updated site 17 Jan 2001
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode