Exhust upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhust upgrade

Hi all,
I am upgrading my exhaust and the muffler shop suggests that I start by changing out the cat and muffler and increasing the pipe diameter to 2 inch. He believes that the Header is not worth the investment, that I will see most of the performance gain without it. What is the consensus out there? Has anyone done it in stages and can let me know their opinion? He is also a little leery of the Thorley header passing the emissions test. Something about the CARB number being a generic number that may not pass in the future. Thanks

Glen
Calmini S/R, and still waiting for the damn bolton thing to fall apart or kill me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:49 PM

Re: Exhaust upgrade

My personal opinion is that you have nothing to lose by doing it in stages. Brent at Trail Tough sell the exhaust from the stock exhaust manifold back because that is where he believes most of your performance gains can be had. As far as being a CARB approved header, check the California Air Research Board internet site and I think you will find a unique number for the Samurai header as well as many other Thorley headers. As for passing a smog check, depending where in California you are, you only have to pass the test when you originally register the vehicle and when ownership is transferred. Metro areas in SoCal maybe different however. If money is tight, go with a two inch system with hi flow cat and muffler. Otherwise go for the total package, header, cat and muffler. I currently run a Thorley header, CarSound Cat. and Magnaflow muffler on my '86 hardtop. I tend to agree with Trail Tough, most of your performance gains will come from the stock manifold and a two inch system.

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:46 PM
WSB

Re: Exhust upgrade

I think it is definatley worth it, last summer I had a guy at the local Monore
make a 2" dia exhuast from the cat back for my Sami, I had to buy the muffler.
Everything came to a little over $100 when all was said and done. What a difference
in performance a K+N air filter and exhuast make, night and day over the stock.

I'll ad a header when I can,buut for now that the best $130 I've spent on my Sami.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farther is right (as usual)u have nothing to loose in going in stages. My bro and i are always changing exhaust and headers and such for family & friends, for a little money. we did a lot of that on his car, and i have to say that by putting bigger exhaust, high performance headers, and high perf. air intakes, it is a lot of difference on any car. Soon we are going to put a supercharger on a 94 prelude its gonna eat up V8s!

~Goot
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 06:58 PM

One of my friends from Gadzuks has a Thorley header, perf. cat, perf. muffler, and 2" pipe. He loves it, and has no problem passing SoCal smog, which is very stringent.
Farther,
Just for your knowledge, in SoCal you have to have the vehicle smogged every 2 years and they pretty much check everything. In fact, on my old Honda I had to replace my cold air intake with the stock air box to get it to pass the visual. Just thought you might like to know.

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
http://www.geocities.com/steve_mitchell74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode