External Cages - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

External Cages

Hi guys,

External cages seem to be pretty popular at the moment but I was wondering how much they weigh??
Also, in a roll, do the exo cages flex enough to make any contact with the body?
Thanks,

Zooky Matt
'88 Sierra,16v efi 1.6L, 4.16 transfercase, Hilux diffs, 4.88 ratios, Locked rear, SPOA, 33" Swampers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 06:05 PM
mike shannon

Re: External Cages

the cages that i built on my rig and jai birds weigh about 120 # not to bad. i have had mine flex over and put a crease in the targa bar but it hit pretty hard on the drivers side. it moved alittle bit last weekend when i put it on it's left side again but i didn't have a bit of body damage. when we built the one on jai birds rig last week i just tacked welded it all together good enough to keep its shape. then we pulled it off and welded it out, and painted it before we put it on for good. his is stronger than mine because i never installed the bar that goes in front of the windsheild.[ i am going to make a bolt in brace so i can fold my wind sheild]. just haven't got around to it yet, mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mike
I'd really like to see how you tie it all together. I see that the nerfs come out and the cage rest on it right?
You don't have any pictures of the process?

Questions....
What are you bending them with?

Thx for your patience

DannyL
Pony Express
Updated site 17 Jan 2001
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:15 AM

Mike I also would like to build another external cage for heidi's rig and Id like to see what you did to jay birds rig if you have pics so I can have extra ideas. I do not like how mine is tied to the frame although itd take a roll.

To answer the other guys question, mine weighs in at probably around 100 to 110, cant be more then one ten because i dont have to hard of a time lifting it myself and im a stick.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:54 AM
mike shannon

i will post some more of jai birds cage as soon as i get my camera to download here at work[cant find my nikon view software]. when we built the nerfs for jais i spread the frame connectors all the way out to the body mount braces so i got to weld it to the frame and the factory body mounts about 6 in. off the frame way better than my set up that is just to the frame. the cage on both rigs is removable with a cutting torch. i mean it is welded solid two points on each nerf bars and two on the back bumper. we bent every bit of jai's on a cheap pipe bender from northern tools it does all right. i will post some pics in a couple of days later mike.

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, Mike, Max, please post more pictures of both of your external cages. I really like both of them. I have only seen one picture of yours, Max, the one with your rig going up a near verticle rock face. I have been thinking of building one and really like idea of a multi-purpose rollcage, protection for myself, and my Samurai.

Besides, everytime I park my Suburban at Wal-Mart, it seems I collect another door ding. It would be nice to know that the inconsiderate [email protected]#$% that swings his door open and hits my zuk it going to go home with a souvenir.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:54 PM

That is because they dropped their beer gettin out.
You got to love Wal-Mart. Where else can so much trailer trash gather. And you know that I am right there with them.
A poor man's Neiman Marcus. I have my fair share of door dings from that place. Tell me why if you park way out in the boonies. with no one around for 100 yards. when you come out someone is parked right up next to you!!!! IT MAKES ME SICK!!!!!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:32 PM
Old Hand

After work one day I came out to find a huge white paint scrape down the side of one of my nerf bars. Someone learned the hard way. Didn't bother me. Stumps, rocks, Buicks the nerfs will fend them off all the same

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 10:02 PM

actually tim thats Mikes rig going up that rock face, it has the pink line in it to gauge the grade of the accent. I have not really done anything like that yet. Im waiting for a grs2 and some 5.12's. I have a bunch of pics on the web, but they are way back there somewhere months ago. Ill see if I can find them.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode