Axle Breakage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Axle Breakage

I have wheeled my Samurai for years and I might add very hard at times. Yes, I have had my share of broken axles. Especially running 33"s. I had a first this weekend. I have always broke the left side axles both front and rear. This has usually happened when my right foot got to heavy. Well this weekend I broke a right side axle and it really suprised me. I wasn't even driving that hard. It didn't even sound right when it broke. You know that sound! It almost sounded like my locker popping rather than a .22 cal. Here is the question. Has anyone else broke the short side axles? I just replaced all my axles not to long ago. I need to know did I purchase some sub-standard axles. This really suprised me. Yeah! for once I went wheeling where the Samurais out numbered the CJs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 10:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Axle Breakage

How old is the right side? Was it replaced with a used shaft?

Maybe it's just time that the right went? From what I understand, it's usually the left, but it doesn't rule out the right.

Might be time to go to Chromoly shafts, or a hybrid Full-Floater. The Chromoly shafts are like $120 each, more that twice a used one, but maybe that strength is what you need with the 33's. I twisted the end of my left one with just 31's locked. Now that I'm 33, I might consider the chromoly ones too!

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: Axle Breakage

That was a new axles less than a year old. They are from Napa.
I will upgrade to the new Calmini axles when I run out of spares. I think upgrading to the Hybrids is overkill. I even bought some Dana 44s then changed my mind and sold them. I wheel pretty hard and have broke five axles in six years. I think that increased strength of the Calmini axles are plenty. and a lot cheaper than a 1000.00 rear end. A majority of anyones axle breaks on the rear are caused when they hit the throttle and bounce the rear end and forget to let off the gas.
I would still like to hear from someone that has broke the right side rear axle and find out what they were doing when it broke.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode