Knock noise found (thanks guys)!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Knock noise found (thanks guys)!!!

Well Saturday I began my project of finding the origin on the knock that was coming from my engine and i' very releived that I have found it...and it didn't appear to be anything serious.

I removed the radiator (so I could get to the pulley easier) and discovered that the crankshaft pulley (the one near the oil pan) was terribly loose. So loose in fact that it could be wiggled and in doing so would strike the engine which in turn was producing a heavy knocking noise. This play was not noticable with the belts on (I guess because of the tension on the pulley supplied by the belts).

I would like to thank everyone that gave me suggestions in my other thread titled "This Darn Engine knock".... especially 7979Skippy (you nailed the problem... dead on).

Now there is only one other question. How do you get the pulley "super tight"? I can only get about 20lbs of pressure on the pulley nut before the pulley turns the engine. I'm pretty sure that 20lbs will not be enough to prevent the engine from loosing the nut up again. Any suggestions on how I can get it good and tight without needing to buy a special tool for the job????

Again thank you all for your input and suggestions.....this is by far the most helpful BBS I have visited dealing with cars anyway! Thanks...Later on!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 12:27 PM
Old Hand

Re: Knock noise found (thanks guys)!!!

On my Samurai there is a small gap between the engine and the transmission and the flywheel is visible. I placed a screwdriver into the teeth on the flywheel and proped the other end of the screwdriver against the frame to stop the motor from turning over. It worked for me. I don't know if sidekicks are any different or not.

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can also put tranny in 1st gear tcase in low ans set parking brake then tighten to your hearts content

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dude,

Glad I was able to help you out....I'm slowly becoming very familiar with all of the possible problems a zook can throw at you *LOL* (re: my engine just blew up)

do as zuke said, jam a screwdriver in there and go hell for leather.....worst you can do is bend the screw driver (only if it's a cheap one).

Keep us posted.

skippy.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will give it another shot!

I got everything back together started it up and the knock was gone for a moment anyway (about 30secs.) but then returned. Pulley loosened again (I figured 20lbs wasn't enough). This was before I had a chance to check this board for replies (I made it as tight as the engine would allow me to). My Sidekick is Automatic and I tried tightening the bolt by putting the tranny in low but the engine still turned (did I forget something???).

Now as for the screw driver trick....I don't see anyplace to get into the flywheel. The only thing I can see is a little plastic cover on the underside of the tranny (didn't pry it off yet.....because i'm not sure whats up in there). Any directions in finding an opening to get a screw driver upto the flywheel would be of great help. If not thanks anyway for all the help to this point....and I will just break down and buy a chain wrench (so I can get a grip on the pulley)!

Well later on and take it easy...!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:18 PM

put your kick in 4 wheel drive low- make sure your hubs are
locked set your park brake. then try to tighten the pully
bolt. if this does not work jam a screwdriver under a fan belt just a the belt is going to pass over a pulley such as
alt. or a/c or power steering the xtra tension should help
to let you tighten bolt more.--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Be thankful that you found this problem in time. Unfortunally I didn't and it ruined my crankshaft. The woodruff key wiggled back and forth destroying the crank and pulley. Shame, because that engine ran like a bat out of hell. Weighing the cost of a crankshaft and rebuild, I instead found a running Samurai for $400 and will be swapping in that engine soon.

This story does have a happy ending though. The Samurai I bought to pull the engine from has a good title and no rust so this gives me another Samurai to build up while I drive my current rig.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this always works for me 3lb hammer and a slugging wrench don't go heavy on the hammer or you'll shear the bolt

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 07:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whatever you do .. dont try and overtighten the 4 bolts that attach the pulley to the crank.

I've only got 3 left now !

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 09:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, I also found that they break real easy. I used a torque wrench and tightened them to what the manual said and I still broke one. I am going to look for new bolts in a heavier grade when I rebuild that engine.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode