wheelspacer question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wheelspacer question

I am considering adding Spidertrax wheelspacers, exact same bolt pattern as the Samurai, to my XL-7 to reduce the risk of rollovers; however, I am concerned that I will put additional strain on the wheel bearings and lose some turning radius due to the spacers. Does anyone have these wheelspacers on or have any comments? Thanks.

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: wheelspacer question

We've run these on our rig and sold countless of them. Its the same principle as running custom backspaced wheels which many also do. We've been running custom backspaced wheels since 95'. No problems so far.

Never done it on the new XL-7

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 03:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey dude,

I've got a GV so we are close to the same wheel well opening. I was going to do the same thing, but only after I install the 2.5" Calmini lift.

On problem is the small well and the closeness of the plastic flares to the tire. At full turn, you notice that the tire narrowly misses the plastic. Now move the wheel 1" closer, and it may rub, especially when the strut is compressed.

You can try it and see, I'd be interested in seeing if they fully clear. It will be tight, but maybe possible.

As far as the stress, 1" isn't much at all and shouldn't affect the bearing much. As far as the turning circle, hey, you want you cake and eat it to, eh?

I always wondered what good is a cake you can't eat.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 03:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not to sound too negative, but if you are that worryed about rollovers time to get a new CAR. Not have an suv
at all. It may make a small differance but if you get the xl-7 into a situation where you are that close, I don't think
it will help much. You'd be better off to go to a lower profile tire if you never take it off road, and just lower your center of gravity.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:43 PM

I am interested in spacers, but i hate to spend at least $250,- (w/ international shipping) for spacers.

are there any others (cheaper) models out there? you can nearly go custom-b-spaced for this amount of money

alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Believe it or not, at $210 fo rhte kit, the Spidertrax spacers are cheap. For years we scoured the SEMA looking for wheelspacers borrowed from Nissans, Honda, Porsche, etc.... They were always in the $400 range. I recommended to Eddie to make the spacers a few years ago. We were excited when they started doing them at half the cost of what everyone else on the planet does.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 11:29 AM

I guess I don't understand why you would use spacers when you can get wheels with whatever backset you want for about the same price. I got a quote from Willamette's Custom Wheels for $231 for 5 wheels, including shipping. Unless you had wheels already that you did not want to part with. That might be the case with the stock alloy wheels on the Vitaras.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode