Shocks-Trailmaster SSV vs. D-tech - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Shocks-Trailmaster SSV vs. D-tech

Hello all !! I am looking for the best street riding shock. A couple of friends of mine run the Trailmaster SSV on their zuks and they ride fairly good. Does anybody know how the Doestech shocks compare to them.

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Shocks-Trailmaster SSV vs. D-tech

Another question, anyone use or have expirience with Pro Comp shocks, espically the really cheap ES1000 line?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:17 PM
Old Hand

I'm running ProComp ES3000's and hate them! WAY to stiff for a Zuk. I bought them several years ago (before the BBS) and paid $100 for all 4. I installed them the same time I installed add-a-leafs and longer shackles. They are for a 3 to 4 inch lift. They've held up well but I don't recommend them for light vehicles.

I recently installed a SPOA and I need longer shocks now. I think I will buy cheap NAPA shocks this time.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:35 PM
pugrocker

Jbird:

Add a leafs and ES3000s - must be a pretty ruff ride......I have heard or read somewhere that the ES3000 are a resticker Rancho RS5000. Does anyone know if that's true?

I used to have RS5000s but they rode to stiff. Right now I have D-Techs and I love 'em (especially with National springs and Revolvers - smooth as a Cadillac - well, not really , but the ride is damn smooth).

pug

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 02:09 PM
Old Hand

The add-a-leafs are not that rough. The rough ride came from the shocks. I customised my spring packs when I was using the add-a-leafs. Front Pack was; main leaf, add-a-leaf, rear leaf, CJ leaf. Rear Pack was; main leaf, add-a-leaf, CJ leaf, rear leaf. It flexed great and if it weren't for the stiff shocks I think it would have rode nice.

I liked the add-a-leaf setup but I'm happy to say I'm SPOA now!

I attached a picture of my Zuk when I was SPUA and add-a-leafs.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-297739-j-flex4.jpg (27.6 KB, 30 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There are two shock manufactures, Monroe and Gabriel. Everyone else restickers there shocks. I have a few sets Rancho and D-tech shocks on the floor and the only way I can tell the difference is that the names are stamped into them, at the same place, and in the same type.

The D-Tech and the Rancho 5000 have the same piston dia. and are valved the same, at least the ones I got.

I know the Pro Comps ES3000 are stiff, as they are the same as RS5000's, but I was looking at the ES1000 which have a very slim cylinder and I think are light valved, so I heard.

At $79 for 4, that ain't bad.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 06:54 PM

It is true that there are basically two shock manufacturers, but they do change valving at the request of the resellers. I have intentionally run RS5000, Cheap gas charged, and the DT shocks on my rig. I can tell you this, don't ever put gas charged shocks on. RS5000's will rattle your teeth. The DT's ride wonderfull. I think the Pro Comps are identical to the RS5000. Either find a really cheap non gas charged shock (usually they only last a year) or get either the DT3000 series or the DT8000 series. The DT8000 is slightly stiffer than the 3000's, and I highly suggest them for anything other than a pure SPOA with stock springs, otherwise use the 3000 series. I no longer stock the SSV's, as they are just two slow to react to the terrain, and they are as stiff as the RS5000's. I have gone through a lot of springs and shocks to build the seat of the pants knowledge base.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:33 PM

slightly OT:

I do run Rancho 9000s in the rear (spoa) and monroe Magnum LT in the front... and as soon as i get the front top towers, i will GLADLY upgrade to the 9000 in the front.

The monroe are only 1/4 the price of the 9000s but just looking at the rod of the 9000 tells the story... The naked truth is that i like to dial in my rig for dist. terrains, and here the 9000 are unrivaled...

expensive? YES,
value for money? very good

alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On my stock samurai i run monroe gasmatic plus'. The blue ones. They work great. I busted the front ones after jumpin off a motorcyle jump i jus need to go take them back and have them replaced. Thats the wonderful thing about monroes, theyre lifetime warrantied. Im still not sure what im gonna use when i S/R my sami.

Jus my 2 cents
Will

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks alot for the replies. My shock knowledge is now up to date. Now it's time to go outside and take a few measurements. See you on the trails

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode