Charcoal Canister??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Charcoal Canister???

I've had my '85 Sami for about 15 months now and I read somwhere that the charcoal canister can be replaced or the insides can be replaced.

how often should this be done and who would stock? Suzuki or will an autoparts dealership have the part??

thanks guys..hope to have pics of the zuk all finished in a month or so. will post when done.

I've also cut my bump stops off in the rear as they were interfering with the caliper bleeder valve on the disc brake conversion. I plan on running 3" springs SPUA with 31x10.5 mudders. Should i fabricate some new bump stops or will it be fine running without them?

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:28 AM
pugrocker

Re: Charcoal Canister???

I was wondering the same thing about the charcoal canister......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 06:30 PM

The charcoal canister is very easy to test. Send me a private message if you want the details.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what does it do?

88 Sam 4.16t/c lockrite rear 225-75's on stock wheels, 4.5 spoa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Why don't ya tell everyone here how to test them, since I think lots of us don't know what the hell it is, does, or even how to test them!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 04:57 AM
4xRonin

I second that. Inquiring minds want to know. TIA

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 08:54 AM

Alright. Take the canister off of the vehicle. Be sure and not suck in any of the fuel vapor from inside the canister. Now, blow air through the bottom of the canister and air should pass through the top three pipes. Now, close off the shortest top pipe and the bottom of the canister and blow air through the pipe fartherest from the top short pipe and air should pass through the middle top pipe. Now blow air through the center top pipe, with the others left open, and air shouldn't pass through any of the other outlets. If all of these check out OK, then the canister is fine.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

88.5 thanks for the info , I was thinking of taking mine off I dont need it with my weber can I just remove it and plud the xtra hoses with something???

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

B A
| / \
| |
D | |
| | |
| | |
------------------
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
------------------
|
|
C
The canister contains activated charcoal which will absorb evaporated gas vapors from the gas tank and the carburetor float bowl when the engine is not running. When the engine is running, fresh air is drawn back thru the canister and into the carburetor, pulling the gas vapor back out of the charcoal so it is burned as fuel. The whole setup is called the evaporative emissions system and is a good thing for the air we breath. As a sidelight, there is a solenoid valve on the carburetor that is energized when the engine is running, so the float chamber is vented directly into the carburetor, bypassing the canister.

You can check for plugged conditions in the canister by blowing (DO NOT SUCK) into certain ports of the canister and checking for air coming out of other ports. See diagram above....
1. While blowing into A and holding C and D closed, air should come out of B.
2. While blowing into B, no air should come out of A C or D.
3. While blowing into C, air should come out of A B and D.

The gas tank gets it's replacement air from the canister as fuel is being used from it while the engine is running (assuming the gas cap is on tight). On another car, I once had a crimped line from the gas tank to the canister and gas vapor would build pressure in my gas tank.
The service manual also says to disconnect your battery when doing the above procedure.

There you go, good luck.
Hahnderosa

'88.5 hrdtop, 29's on 15x8's, want small lift + big exhaust.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, that diagram doesn't look right because the BBS post takes out the spaces. 88.5 Samurai's description is good. Does anyone know how to imbed drawings here? I tried to copy from MS Excel but it doesn't work.
Thanks, Hahnderosa

'88.5 hrdtop, 29's on 15x8's, want small lift + big exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode