carb & smog alternatives - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

carb & smog alternatives

Hey Zooks, the 86 Sammy with stock carb I just bought has a missing choke/heater/fast idle cam assembly missing. To get it running I rigged a manual choke cable. Is there a way to swap out for a better carb (say, Weber) and stay smog legal, or do I pull a stock one off of a graveyard rig?

A Florida Gator swimming in the Sierra Snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: carb & smog alternatives

Yep! A weber is a good swap. Lot's of guys have 'em. Try Calmini or Petroworks for kits. Fuel Injected is the best way to go if you can, but with an '86 that may require some extra work. My Weber is installed 180 degrees to minimize uphill flooding/stalling. There's lots of other options too.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:25 PM

If you are in California and don't have your vehicle registered or are subject to any additional smog checks, be careful about anything but a stock setup or one that is smog legal. I don't beleive the Webber is CARB approved. Check before you invest any money.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 02:38 PM
pugrocker

I was always under the impression that the Webers were not CARB approved. The installation instructions say "Legal in California ONLY for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway".

It took three times for me to pass NY State inspection - but after the tester played with the lean / rich settings, he got it to pass. I have also heard that you can use fuel additives that will help it pass too.

-pug

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:12 PM

I would recommend giving petroworks a call, they are in southern cali and would be able to give you some good advice on a legal setup. I am also in so. cal., but my zuk is stock at the moment.
http://www.petroworks.com
or 800-952-8915

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
http://www.geocities.com/steve_mitchell74
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Zooks. I think I get the pix. Go to a Weber if I know I can make it legal.

A Florida Gator swimming in the Sierra Snow
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is my understanding also, that the Weber will not be smog legal. I have one now, that I am in Alabama, but I am still holding my stock carb "just in case" I need to make it smogable in the future. The problem with California smog tests comes with the "visual inspection" This means that the dope doing the test will look under your hood. If he sees anything that doesn't look stock, he won't even do a sniff test. You fail. When I was in SoCal, I had some trouble with my S&S header. It wasn't a smog part, however, it all burned clean. One guy made me add a tube to it, I think EGR port, and then passed me. But, they can be a huge PITA out there, even if you are burning clean!
Now, you can always have a Weber now, rebuild a stock carb, and switch every 2 years to pass your smog test! Kind of a PITA I think. Otherwise, I don't think there really is any "legal" alternative in that state!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 11:13 AM

If you can somehow make your weber burn "clean" for the performance test, the visual test may be passable by using the adapter that allow the use of the stock air filter assembly. As far as using nonCARB headers, orginaly I was going to use the Calmini header because I had it on an my first Samurai. So I called Thorley headers and asked to get a sticker for their CARB approved header. They send one right out. Eventually I did put a Thorley on my lastest Samurai because my conscience got the better of me. Although I think each header burns as clean as the other.

It too bad that you have to pass the visual as well as the performance test.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode