What's better - 3 link or missing link rear? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s better - 3 link or missing link rear?

Hi All,

I'm going to change my rear suspension and cannot decide between either coil/quarter ellip. 3 link setup or longer leaves and missing links.
What is the better setup, considering all factors, including value for money?

Thanks,

Zooky Matt
'88 Sierra,16v efi 1.6L, 4.16 transfercase, Hilux diffs, 4.88 ratios, Locked rear, SPOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s better - 3 link or missing link rear?

Matt you an Aussie?? If so check out Tough Dog in Sydney they know the most about suzuki suspension in Oz

88 Vitara JLX, Koni's, King Coils 2.5" over, MT's, JayCar ign boost, Motivator Header, 2" sys, Mikuni 28/30.

Money = Power = Fun & angry spousal unit
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:15 AM
Can't Get Enough

In the long run......3 link. Ml's are not the best set up to me. I ran them for about 3 months. That is my 2 cents.
Bill----

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're someone looking for any easy bolton, then the Missing Link is certainly better.

If you have fabrication and CAD skills, then go for the 3link. You will get more travel with the 1/4 elliptic setup. It will take alot of work to get there and get the links setup properly though.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:48 AM

M/L's are less expensive by far.
1/4 elipticals are better performers and eliminate some problems you have with a leaf spring set-up. Like axle wrap.
that's my opinion.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

Nail on head.......
BF----

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for the info but I was more after personal experiences, ie. Are you totally happy with your Missing Links or if you have a 3link setup, was it worth the effort?

I have the facilities to make either, but don't want to spend heaps of time making up a 3 link if the Missing Links work nearly as well.

So what do you think guys??
TIA

Zooky Matt
'88 Sierra,16v efi 1.6L, 4.16 transfercase, Hilux diffs, 4.88 ratios, Locked rear, SPOA, 33" Swampers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 10:29 PM
CSR

My personal experience....

Right now, I'm running a missing link set-up with longer springs on my Zuk. It flexes good and the longer springs ride SO much better than stock leaves. My plan for this Spring is to move the rear spring hangers forward and use a traditional shackle in the rear, with the longer CJ springs, and go to shackle reversed in the front, possibly with CJ springs or with the rear Zuk springs that are up there now.

I've found a few drawbacks to missing links. The main drawback is spring wrap, unless you fabricate or buy a traction bar, hard wheelin' will eventually waste your set of rear springs. I've seen several sets ruined. Tim Justice can waste a set in minutes. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another is.... on really steep climbs, the shackle that normally lies horizontal to the frame, is pulled away from the frame by the weight transfer in the front and by torque in back. Making steep climbs tough and sometimes scary.

One more drawback of M/L's is the side to side movement in the front suspension. A simple Panhard bar set-up can fix that though. I built one for my rig and it handles much better now.

So if you're looking for a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to get a better ride and more travel, then I'd say go for missing links. If If you have the time and resources to fab a 3 or 4-link suspension, or the funds to buy a kit, then maybe that'd be your best bet. With a multi-link system, you wouldn't have the problems that are common with leaf springs... like spring wrap and wheel hop.

Good Luck!

UPDATE!!

I found a picture showing the "unfolding" of missing links on a steep climb. This is my Zuk. The shackles unloaded and made this climb almost impossible. The M/Linked Zuks had trouble and a standard SPOA Zuk made it look easy.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Last weekend - I saw Kevin's rig with TT rear M Links and the Breeze rear traction bar finally in action. It has changed climbing dramatically from when he just had the rear Mlinks. His rear is really biting. However it is now very easy for him to get the front end up- sometimes waaaaaay up at the crest of some very small hills. Endo potential is worse with the traction bar it seems. Even with the front at full droop as it is in the air and going slow- the fronts just eases up in the air as the rears are just digging and pushing. I just eased up the hill as well as the Ising sami with no front end launch at the same crawl rate. Stuff breaks when you get those impact landings. I'll pass. I also didn't like the way the T bar hangs down. too low for me.

I'm going to put MLinks on the front but I'll probably weld them closed eventually.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 01:10 PM

CSR nailed it. We wheel in similar areas and we both have ML's. We have experienced the same problems. I am also going to a shackle reversal and putting my spring hanger back on the rear. I have already welded up my MLs on the front. I still have a better ride I just don't get that droop that I use to, but I am happy with it.
My wife has a Pathfinder and it utilizes the 3 link system. For a stock suv the rear flexs pretty good and has a great ride.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode