Information on the Wild West Off Road Ford V6 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Information on the Wild West Off Road Ford V6 Swap

Does anyone know if Wild West Off Road still makes the Ford V-6 conversion kit? I have emailed them a couple of times and called today to get their answering machine.

As some of you have read, my 1.3L just bit the dust and I am looking for an alternative engine. Yes I know the 1.6L Tracker/Sidekick engine is a nice alternative but around here, the junkyards want $1200 for a used 1.6L with 80K miles. Steep price for a moderate gain of horsepower and that does not even include the price of the conversion kit.

I come across a running Bronco II with the carbureted 2.8L (171 c.i.d.) V-6 engine with the C4 automatic transmission for the price of $425 and that includes the radiator and anything else I might need. The price can not be beat and this engine will double the Samurai's torque easily.

The only thing else I would need is the kit and exhaust. The transmission tunnel is suppose to be widened slightly but I do have a 2" body lift that that would raise the tunnel far enough to clear the C4 instead.

If anyone has any information on this kit, knows anyone running it or knows if Wild West still makes it please drop me a note. Thanks

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Re: Information on the Wild West Off Road Ford V6 Swap

Come on, somebody has to know something about it. Has anyone done business with Wild West Off Road in the past? I can't seem to get in touch with them. Well if anyone else is interested in this conversion you can read more about it here: http://www.olywa.net/wildwest/V6.htm

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can't help you zoomy . If you do get in contact tho , would you ask about 70s Capri 2.3L w/4spd swap ? TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:31 AM
Addict

I just bought the kit from wild west offroad. i haven't finished it yet, but i do have the engine sitting in the vehical right now. the kit just consists of engine mounts and instructions. the best time to get ahold of him is on weekends. the hardest part to the swap, for me so far, is finding the right parts. you do need to get 2 transmissions to do it right. you will need to find one from a late 60's to early 70's ford truck or van with a v8. and also one from a late 70's ford mustang with a 2.8. from what i have been able to find, the broncos came with a c5 auto, not a c4 which will not work. you will need to move the t-case back 1". and i did ask him about wether a body lift would work instead of widening the tunnel and he did not know, but he recommended widining it anyway. if you have any more questions feel free to ask, i will tell you what i can.

1990 samurai spoa
soon to have 2.8 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 01:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, I'm talking to a guy over e-mail and he has just put in the kit and is going to try to get 300hp out of it, don't know how he is going to do that? But, I'll give him your e-mail and give ya some info! Hold tight!

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 06:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

keep this thread updated...others may be interested. thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

So maybe I should just buy the 2.8L out of that Bronco II and find another tranny. I could buy just the engine, turn key for $300. I like the engine from this Bronco because it is carbureted and less headaches as far as hook-up. I want to keep it simple and that is one think I like about the Ford V6 swap.

Is there a vehicle that does have the right engine/tranny combo already? If I could get the right vehicle to pull the engine/tranny from as one if would make things easier. Is it the Mustangs with the 2.8L V6 engine that I should be looking for instead?

I know there is a little bit of parts serching for the right tail piece for the tranny, but that should easy since the guy that I am buying the engine from has a bunch of vintage junker Fords laying around. I know Wild West talks about the possibility of installing a TBI engine, but how much of a hassle do you think that would be? Thanks

Tim Martin
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:06 PM
Addict

I believe that the mustang with the 2.8 might have the right transmission, although i was told that some of them came with c-3.
I have the motor sitting in my samurai right now, just waiting on finding the correct transmissions. the motor is a lot better fit than my brothers 3.8l chevy that he has in his samurai. the 2.8 is actually a pretty small v6. i just hope is has enough power for me.
Gearing might be a problem though. my brothers has 31" tires and stock gearing and it raps out pretty good at 50. probably need to go with at least 33" tires.

1990 samurai spoa
33" thornbirds
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

What kind of machine work needs to be done to the transmission? I have access to a lathe and milling machine and if it is simple I could do it myself. What kind of cost did this entire swap run you and what difficulties have you run into so far?

Tim Martin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:49 PM
Addict

now i havn't done the trany thing yet, but what i understand that needs to be done is:
1. both trany's need to be disasembled.
2. you need to use the bell housing, torque converter, flywheel, case and valve body from the 2.8 c4.
3. you use the input and output shafts and the tail housing from the v8 c4 and the bolt on yolk.

you will end up with a c4 that is 24-25" long with a bolt on yolk.

as far as cost, the motor cost me 300, i spent 100$ on the first trany, and 120 on the second. the kit from wild west cost me 120. i expect there to be alot more costs though.

have to do something for a radator.
need to get a floor shifter.
need to have driveshaft made to go between transmission and tcase.
i expect to have about a 1000$ in the swap. but it looks like it could be less.

the only difficutlys i have run into is finding the correct transmissions, i have spent weeks looking for them. it seems the junk yards don't really know what they have. i have gone after a few, only to find out they wern't really a c4, or didn't have the right bell housing, or what ever.

i am just going to have a trany shop modify my transmissions and rebuild it. that will be another 300$.

1990 samurai spoa
33" thornbirds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode