Electrical FYI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Electrical FYI

I had one hell of a problem come up last week. I went to start the Sami and the battery was dead. I thought no big deal it is four years old so time for a new one. Replaced the battery and looked at the volt gauge, it was reading 12 volts. Well I said that is not right. I went and checked the output from my alternator. It was at nearly twenty volts. I thought my voltage regulator was fried. I had them test it at the local parts store and the confirmed it to be bad. 110.00 later I was home bolting up the new alternator. Started it up and, Damn I still have the same problem. I pulled out the Haynes manual and it wasn't any help. The problem acted just like a short pulling my charging circuit down. After spending four days in the 30 degree cold I located my problem. I hope if any of you have this problem you will remember this. In your wiring harness you have a main feed wire that goes from the battery to the fused box. It also splits off and goes to the alternator. This is a 8 awg wire. Where the wire splits it has a crimp connection that has a shrink wrap in it. Plus it is wraped in electrical tape. The connection is easy to locate just trace it from the battery to the wiring harness and cut the tape free. If you look at the connection you would assume that it would be in good shape. I move the wire back and forth and my voltage jump back up to the 14 volts it should. I procedded to cut the shrink wrap off and saw what the problem was. The wire was corroded badly and only three strands were left in tack. I never would have thought that the wire would or could corrode there. I take very good care of my samurai and never had corrosion build up on my battery. Sorry for the long message. I thought this might help someone out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 02:07 PM

Re: Electrical FYI

Thanks, i think i know a rig with the same problem now ill just be making a phone call....

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 11:25 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have recently developed a similar electrical problem after swapping out the steering column from my parts rig. (The ignition switch on my '93 was bad and it didn't have intermittent wipers so it was easier to just swap the whole column.) It now will occasionally act like it is not grounded and the lights will go dim and it will definitely pull the battery charge down. I initially thought I may have hooked one of the harness wires up wrong, but after comparing it to my 88.5 it was hooked up right. When unplugging and plugging the wiring harness I noticed the wire you are talking about. Sounds like I may need to look closer at that connection, because I know it got pulled around some when unplugging the harness. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Sami !

OT - Hey mxnhd , did you ever get your Lady's Weber prob fixed ? Or have you been too busy snort'n coed flank at college ? Come on man ,she's good to you - fix it !

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Sami, my '93 has 2 sets of wires with the round male and female connectors inside the shrinkwrap. One set of wires was connected and other set was disconnected and one end was dangling and probably shorting out. I drove it over 50 miles last night with accessories running with no signs of discharging or a short circuit. Hopefully that was the only problem. Thanks again for the tip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode