Duckbuggy and me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Duckbuggy and me

Here is a pic of me and my zuk commonly refered to by my huntin buddies as "Duckbuggy" that I thought I would share

Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-294245-Pc300063.jpg (63.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:01 AM

Re: Duckbuggy and me

You must be going at high speeds backwards through wetlands to hit that many ducks. Nice lookin' Lab.

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice looking, too bad I can not shoot that good. I gave up duck hunting because since I am not that good of a shot (at ducks) the steel shot cost was killing me. along with both the duck stamps you have to buy. That has got to be one of the best pictures I have seen in a long time. What more can you ask for. You , your dog, and your Samurai. and it looks like an awsome day huning.

Eric

Turn it till it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn
1986 Suzuki Samurai JX
2000 Suzuki Esteem seats
2" Calmini S/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:19 AM

GawdZooki: Ya, I know what you mean. All ducks and skeet (and probably intruders) are safe when I have my Rem. M870 out. I am thinking of giving up my M870 and going to claymores for home protection. Makes me wonder why I think I can hit any moving target with my SIG 229.

-Farther
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn Skeetshooter, You leave any for the rest of us? Nice rig from the a$$ end how about a side shot just the rig and the dog. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Where bouts you go? I know for one thing it wasn't out here to the West. We only got enough water for one duck and a mud hens got it.
Nice picture, Congrads on the excellent duck hunt, Bud!!! Talk at you later.

bucwheat
88.5 Zuk,4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s,2 inch over RRO Shackles,1 inch body lift,RRO Z-bar
Full Camo--Coyotes beware
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:33 AM

Hey bucwheat: My bride of 30 years wants to get back into raisen chickens. In order to keep the ledger in our favor I will probably need to have a coyote deterent program. Since you are the BBS coyote killer guru, what do you suggest I use. I grew up in South Dakota whose state animal is the coyote. However I never saw a coyote until I moved to Northern California 5 months ago. Now I have seen many and more deer in 5 months than I did in my first 50 years in SD. It was a good move for me and the spouse.

-Farther
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farther, Be happy to help to bad it's a little far to drive for a set-up and all-night call for me, but give me a little more info on where your chickens will be, what the surrounding area is like. What your neighbors are like! If you want defensive measures or offensive measures or both. Whether you would be willing to use snares and poisons or if you just plan to shoot them. Oh you also better check the State laws too.

bucwheat
88.5 Zuk,4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s,2 inch over RRO Shackles,1 inch body lift,RRO Z-bar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-294311-coyote.jpg (11.8 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bucwheat,
I'll try to get yall some more pics of the dukbuggy soon got a digital camera from my lovely bride (AKA the War Dept.)for x-mas. gotta alot of work to do to the rig before Jan 20th. when we go to Clayton. Had a little help killing all those ducks. I would still be in jail if I had killed them all myself.

Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 01:07 PM

Bucwheat: All of this is just in the planning stages right now. Basically I would be looking for which caliber rifle to use. When my wife and I moved from SD to go back to school, I sold my Mini 14, 222 & 30-06 BDLs bolt action, 22 semiauto, 30 carbine, and 12 gauge. Since then I have aquired SIG 229 & 239 and S&W 317 handguns, not much good for coyotes. (The words of a fellow firefighter have come back to haunt me. He said you never sell guns, only buy them.) So I have nothing appropriate for coyotes. Poison & snares would be out of the questions because my wife raises Welsh Corgi herding dogs. Most of my neighbors are 20-140 acres away, separated by rolling hills, sagebrush & juniper and I am sure of my backstops. Northern California is not like the rest of the state and it has a strong independent hunting culture. I have no intensions of iradicating the coyote, so low scale defensive measures would be nice. I would preferr to not have to kill any coyote. What caliber and make of rifle do you suggest? Thanks for the advise.

-Farther
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farther, as you probable well know the coyote is an opportunistic predator. They use all kind of ways to catch small mammals likes rabbits and mice, which is the bulk of its food. Although they hunt alone to catch small prey, they will ďpack upĒ to hunt larger mammals like deer. Your pets and chickens will be prime targets. They just love cats and a French poodle I knew but thatís another story. I have used cats as bait on a few problem places. Coyotes will often track its prey and may study it for days. They will have an excellent sense of smell, and may stalk it for 20-30 minutes before pouncing. It can also take advantage of its stamina to chase its prey over long distances, and then striking when the prey is exhausted. Coyotes are not dumb as most people think.
Coyotes are one of the most controversial of all non-game animals. Some people have urged its control by whatever means is necessary so that potential livestock losses may be eliminated however, Environmentalists believe that the Coyotes are necessary to preserve the balance of nature. Iím down the middle. I donít think Coyotes are to be hunted to the point of extermination or just because I can, but they must be controlled. Because of our past practices, we have eliminated the control measures that Mother Nature had in place. I believe that individual animals preying on livestock and poultry should be destroyed and that hunting them where there are problems is OK, but coyotes in the wild are not necessarily harmful. They also do a great service, because much of its food is made up of rodents.
Your problems will be lone coyotes raiding the chicken coop for food serveral times a week. I did some checking for California; Coyotes are classified as non-game animals and may be taken throughout the year under the authority of a hunting license. I don't know where in Northern CA. you are but I would recommend that you contact both the CA Dept. of Fish and Game and federal US Fish and Wildlife Service for information. You should be able to get data about coyote movements in the area and a record of record attacks on livestock and pets. Animal control people are NOT the agency to go to. They are bound by local regulations, which are written by local politicians and in some case contradict the federal regulations. Where as the State and federal Agencies are gathering data and are making a scientific study approach to the deal.
Weapons of choice would be small caliber, lightweight, rapid firing, and high capacity. The mini14 you had would have been excellent. Most of us here use AR-15, Mini 14 or SKS. I use SKS (see attached picture) because itís cheap to own, cheap to shoot, can lay down a lot of rounds fast and with a composite stock itís light. If you use a scope you will need one that will gather in a lot of light. Youíll need a spotlight, 20,000-candle power or more, but not over 100,000-candle power. Handheld rechargeable are nice. You need a red lens cap for the light also. Most of the coyotes youíre going to deal with will be at dusk or at night. If you plan to call them in buy the cassette tapes at first then if you want to use mouth calls you can mimic them. Warning If you get the wounded rabbit or something the wife isnít going to like it when she hears it. I recommend the Coyote pup or the pack call. You can play them in a portable cassette player. Where you live I would guarantee if you get chickens youíll have coyotes and probable fox attacks. Sorry to go on so much but, most time Iím getting badgered by some damn tree hunger about this and donít get to tell off about one of my passions. But I hope this helps.

P.S. Sorry Sheetshooter to take over your duckbuggy post but if you got anything to add just jump in there and Iíll make it up to you on a coyote hunt sometime.

bucwheat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-294383-SKS7.62.jpg (25.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode