sludge in air cleaner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

sludge in air cleaner

i was checking on my air filter today, and when i pulled the cover off, i noticed two things... first, there is a vacuum hose on the back of the cleaner cover (the part that goes right over the carb, its about 6 inches long, and goes straight down)... anybody know what this line is for?
the second thing i noticed was some kind of oily sludge in the bottom of my filter housing... it was only a little bit, and there was none on the inside or outside of the filter, except where the filter had been sitting in the little puddle...
this sludge was in the bottom of the housing, inside of the filter
any ideas on whats going on in my machine?

thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 04:48 PM

Re: sludge in air cleaner

All i know is if you run without that hose,things get real sloppy.Its vaccum thats all I know.The sludge is blow-by from your crankcase.Normal for my XJ,but the sam I dont know.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey fellow Texan, Possible Bad PCV valve. How is your idle? The pcv valve restricts the flow when the intake maniflod vacum is high it's designed to allow excess amounts or blow by gases to flow back thru the crankcase vent tube into the aircleaner housing to be comsumed during combustion. If the valve is bad some oil vapor can be sucked into the housing along with the gases. If you have a rough idle this could also indicate a bad PCV valve by having a vacum leak. Just my $.02 worth.

bucwheat
88.5 Zuk,4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s,2 inch over RRO Shackles,1 inch body lift,RRO Z-bar
Full Camo--Coyotes beware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 05:06 PM

The little line on the air box on the carb is attached to the manifold, and it works through a bi metalic element mounted in the air box. This is part of the lean/rich condition of the carb based on the air temp coming in. The oil is from a bad PCV valve, replace it.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

i just replaced the pcv valve not too long ago...
what will happen if i dont replace that hose?

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

May have been a little left in there. (the hose) I'd monitor it the next few hundred miles. It is possible that the NEW PCV valve is bad.

bucwheat
88.5 Zuk,4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s,2 inch over RRO Shackles,1 inch body lift,RRO Z-bar
Full Camo--Coyotes beware
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 06:50 PM

If you are talking the hose from the carb air box to the manifold, not much really as long as you plug the manifold port. If that port is left open, it will run like heck. When I bought my Sammi, the guy dumped it cause he thought the head was shot. I drove a mile down the road, got out, cut the piece of that hose with the hole in it off with the pocket knife, stuffed it back on the port, and drove away happy.

TGT - NCO

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I bought my Sammi, the guy dumped it cause he thought the head was shot. I drove a mile down the road, got out, cut the piece of that hose with the hole in it off with the pocket knife, stuffed it back on the port, and drove away happy.

NCO you are such a bastad ! ) You know you should've driven right back to his house & offered to take your money back !
See , that's why you can't sleep at night now

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 12:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I always get a little milkshake cold sludge in my PCV line and hoses. I was told it is because my commute is only 3mi and the water vapor in the crankcase doesn't get hot enough to burn off. Is this true? I used to get it in the air cleaner but now have a Megaflow. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 07:18 AM

>NCO you are such a bastad ! ) You know you should've driven right back to his house & offered to take your money back !
See , that's why you can't sleep at night now <

Right, I sleep just fine. This was two years ago, and the poor guy had been trying to peddle this thing for over 6 months, and was REALLY wanting it out of his yard. I did him a favor so his grass would grow back in the yard. I still paid $1,400 for it, but it was worth it, Suzi was from California, and someone had moved here and he bought it from them. Suzi has no rust on her which is un-heard of here in the Rust Belt of America.

TGT - NCO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode