Brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brakes

1988 Samurai

I have notice something strange since I have overhawled my rear drums. When I brake I usually press the brake downshift and pump the brake again. What is happening is that the brake pedal on the first pump sinks significantly lower than on the second pump. Why is that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Brakes

The Germans called them "Gremlins".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 06:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It sounds like you have AIR in the system. I had the same problem when I changed my rear wheel cylinder. Bleed the brakes, should take care of your problem. It did for me.

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've been told that sometimes there is an air pocket in the rear cylinders. You can elliminate it by using a "c" clamp and pressing the cylinder pistons inward. Then bleed as usual and this will take care of it if this is your problem. Hope this helps...

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 02:11 PM

Sounds like air in the system. You can also “reverse bleed” the system. Take a clean oil can, the kind that has a thumb lever that you pump. Fill it with brake fluid, attach a clear rubber hose to the end of the discharge tube. Pump all of the air out of the clear tube and attach it to the bleeder valve. Just open the bleeder valve a small amount and pump the oil can. Have someone check the brake fluid reservoir and make sure it doesn’t over flow. The person watching the reservoir will see air bubbles coming up in the fluid. When the bubbles stop, your ready for the next cylinder.

Will be a bit messy ‘cause there will be some leakage from the bleeder valve. But, it works if all else fails. Works great on hydraulic clutches too.

Torque Wrenches? . . . We don't need no stinkin' Torque Wrenches ! ! ![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

air in the brakesystem seems the most obvious, but what it also could be is that the brake shoe slack adjusters are not working properly. So when you release the brake pedal the springs between the shoes can pull the shoes too far inwards. When this happens and you start braking the first brake pedal push cannot shift enough braking fluid needed to have the shoes make contact with the drum again, if you pump a second time a supplementary amount of fluid will be added and then they will start working. If your parking brake is inside your drums (not when you have an e-brake on the transfer) you can try to pull up the handbrake one click, this prevents the shoes from being pulled inwards too much and takes over the function of the slack adjuster and the rear will start braking instantly.
hope I didn't make it too complicated.

Samazuki

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode