5.12's - to space or not to space? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

5.12\'s - to space or not to space?

Since I'm jumping from 31's to 33's, the 4.16 t-case just won't cut it anymore. So I'm installing 5.12's to get some creepy-crawly action.

Now I'm a little confused by the different stuff I've been hearing, so I'll ask all you geared folks what you did.

I'm preparing everything I need to install 5.12's in my Sam. I know about the need for "cans" or "tubes" to hold the cross pins in. But I've seen a few products that also include "ring spacers".

After talking with a couple vendors, they informed me that the ring needs to be spaced out, slightly, to keep the pinion centered correctly. If the ring isn't spaced, the pinion will be too far to one side not allowing room for adjustment, or so they say. Of course, each has a slightly different way of accomplishing this.

After examining the 3.73s and 5.12s and putting them (loosely) in the carrier, I can sorta see what they mean.

So, what are all of you doing? I just want to get it right the first time.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 5.12\'s - to space or not to space?

You NEED the spacer to setup the carrier properly.

You don't necessarily need the cans or rings or whatever you want to call them. We've seen some of these things are they are cheesy as all hell. The ones we saw were loose and would be more of a problem maker than a solver. Email me in private if you want to know whose they were.

In the old days when we first figured out Sidekick gears would work, we used heavy duty rubber bands to hold the pins. They worked flawlessly and were CHEAP. Something Anton could really appreciate!

Of course the other option is something like the US gears we carry where no special installation instruments are necessary. At $200 each, they far cheaper than new Suzuki gears and don't have the problems of the Richmond gears.

We also keep laser cut Sidekick adjustment rings in stock for a couple bucks if you need them.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:51 AM
mike shannon

i just put my front third member back together and i did not use any spacers on it. but after reading your post i went to the shop and took a look at it. sure enough it is offset about .1 of and in. i think it will run just fine but am not sure. i am going to have to think about it. you have me wondering. i was running the stock tracker front third member up front but i blew the spider gears out of it at clayton. so i pulled the gears out of the alum. housing and swapped them in to a 4 pin that i have welded up. it is all going to be a test to see if it will hold up. it was alittle hard on the gears but they should be fine in the front. so i guess that i will get back to you on what happens later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was more confused than you when I did 4.62s. I went with 4.62 front chunk R&P into the sami carrier. I also was pretty clueless about r&p. I went with the Pworks install kit & conversion kit. It was 25 bucks each & I needed two of each. My R&P was installed as a favor to another friend by a pretty sharp gearman. He didn't seem to happy with the setup- but once he was done- he liked it. He welded the can over the pins and he was really stoked at how nice it all came togetether. He showed me how it was set at some such numbers and how great it ended up but it was all over my head. Bottom line- I am very happy with my gears and the gearman was happy with the Pworks kit.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:59 AM
mike shannon

ok now after reading glens post you all have got me worried. i have set the gears up the backlash is set and it all seems fine just off set about .1 of a in. i would think that if there was enough room for the backlash adj. it should be fine. so teach me the error of my ways please. later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 11:17 AM
Old Hand

I used the Petroworks kit when I did mine, I wish the band was wider, so I didn't use it, I got them from Brent instead.

It all works so far great, and I can bend a crowbar in a sand box,,,,

Use a spacer and can,,,,,

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Though the two are somewhat related, it is the preload that you need the ring spacer to get set up properly. The preload is the side to side play of the carrier. The ring itself is about 3/16" so the adjustment ring is within its normal range once things are setup.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 02:44 PM

DaveAZ: Are you referring to Brent of Trail Tough to get the spacer and can? Thanks,

-Farther
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:09 PM

I have set these up as well, and you need to use the spacer AND the can. I tried the rubber band bit a while back, and after 1.5 months it let go. They don't seem to like the formulation in todays diff oils as they have synthetic stuff in them. I ruined a diff because of it. I am not a fan of any item that is welded onto a hardened ring gear. It just doesn't make sense. We carry the Breeze tube (can) and spacers. The cans fit well, and the spacer is about 1/8" thick to properly center the bearings in their races in the carrier. The spacer is flat machined stock that fits behind the ring gear, and has the proper holes machined in it for the ring gear bolts. By the time you purchase the Kick gears and the required stuff to make them work, I can put you in a Yukon gears for less than $200 per axle.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, that is true ($200), unless you picked up a used 5.12 for $75 and traded a good 3.73 3rd member for another 5.12.

Since I scottish, my wallet (although possibly stuffed with cash) is about as tight as the a$$hole on a Cell Block C newbie. Now that's tight[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

But if it wasn't the case of me getting into 5.12's cheaply and the fact that I'm a "purist", the $200 for Yukon's seem like a good price.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode