SPOA little by little - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SPOA little by little

I am thinking of going SPOA and I was thinking of doing on phases

first I would do the spring swap and steering correction, together with longer brake lines. (Will forget about articulation on step 1)

Some time in the future I would go with the driveline spacers, shock mounts and longer shocks.(to take care of articulation)

Am I missing something ?? can it be done like this ??

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
1º Impasse da estrada do garajau n.º 9 e 11
9125-066 Caniço
Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SPOA little by little

you need to do drive line spacers in the first part of your spoa as well as your shocks and brake lines .as the frame gets farther away from the axles the drive shafts and other parts get shorter.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:56 PM

Rui,

not 100% sure but you could get away with your plan... if you leave the short shocks on you won't articulate too much and therefore (IMHO) you wont NECESARILY need the longer shocks and spacers.

anyway, you might want to look into TrailTough extended slip yoke, as it seems to be the better setup (as compared to spacers).

i guess there is someone on the list that has done it in stages and can comment from first hand experience ...

alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:37 PM
Addict

that is what i did on my samurai, except i have yet to do a steering correction. all i did was get longer brake lines and extend the driveshafts(which i did myself although i wouldn't recommend it) it dosn't acrticulate all that well, but i will get longer shocks later. right now i have to get my new motor installed.

1990 samurai spoa
soon to have 2.8 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:27 PM

You dont need driveshaft spacers right away, i went for a long time without them, driving hard, lots of downward flex, i finally put some in tho. Steering and brakes is important.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, soon 33's. 740 RTI!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went with a staged spoa. The steering, spacers, and perches were first. The brake lines were dropped by a bracket. The 4.16 Tcase went in at this point as well as a 4wd front axle. I drove for awhile with stock shocks and stock brake lines. Later I put in the extended brake lines when I put in birfield rings and 33s. The next stage was to put in shock mounts and long doetsh techs. The next step is not done yet, but will be 1.5 OME springs in the rear and probably welded closed M links up front w/ a hybrid spring pack. It helps to have a long range plan and be able to look at what works for others and to be able to adjust your lift to your findings.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks everyone. I will go forward as planned.
If I go with wraparound perches I just have to weld them parallel to the old ones, right ? Or do I have to do some measurements ??

If I go with 4,5 perches and stock springs how many driveline spacers will I need and how big should they be ??

Rui Freitas

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
1º Impasse da estrada do garajau n.º 9 e 11
9125-066 Caniço
Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:12 PM

I strongly suggest the spacers and the BL extensions along with your spring perch. Also, the angle do change a bit to properly set up the front and rear axles.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:54 PM

If you change the angles on the front end for the drive shaft, does that change the front wheel alignment?

Torque Wrenches? . . . We don't need no stinkin' Torque Wrenches ! ! ![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:03 PM

You don't want to get carried away on the front axle maybe 1 degree at most. Depends on how the rest of the suspension is set up. With the way I now have my suspension, it would have been better to go 2 degree negative as I am now running a 2 degree shim. I will likely grind the weld off in the spring time and rotate slightly to ditch the shims. The rear is a different story, but it still depends on the final suspension.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode