what happened??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what happened???

i installed my new cam yesterday and went by the book i used a fel-pro head gasket and since i couldnt see anywhere that it said "top" i put the lettering up. now when i start my sami it looks like a steam engine tons of steam out the tail pipe. Whay did i do wrong??? thanks in advance

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: what happened???

When I replaced my head gasket I had the saqme problem. It should have only fit one way if I am not correct. I had to replace my head gasket because I blew out the gasket between the water jacket and number 2&3 cylinder. Once I got everything buttoned back together I started the engine and steam came out of the exhaust. I let it run a while and it got better. I think it was water that was inside of my exhaust from the head gasket going bad. Cleared up after about 3-4 minutes.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, everything else pretty much bone stock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 03:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ZUK RULE NUMBER 1: Always use SGP. Period.

If there's a lot of steam, then you may have a problem.

Otherwise, the two products from the complete combustion of gas is CO2 and water vapor. However, a motor isn't perfect so we get other stuff to. Still, a good running motor will produce a visible amount of water vapor, especially when warming up or when it's cold outside. It's normal too for water to drip out of the tailpipe. Ever been behind an old lady who drives slow and watch water spill out of the tailpipe when she leaves a stop sign?

If you gas it and the vapor goes away, should be normal. If you gas it and you see a huge cloud, then you probably have a problem.

BTW, I personally think Fel-Pro for Suzuki stinks. Just my opinion. Try to use Genuine Suzuki if you can.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My sami has never overheated, nor have i had any visible water in the oil, but it always seems to be blowin steam out of the tailpipe. And i in no way shape or form drive like an old woman.So....is this normal or is there sumthin wrong.

Thanks
Will

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've tried feel pro head gaskets on several occasions and I'd have to say there is nothing else out there thats a bigger piece of s**t than feel pro I've never had any luck.The only other head gasket that I've had any luck with other than factory parts is victor.Theres been some other discussion about feel pro and several others have had the same problems with the feel pro seating.hope i helped

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave, here is my two cents. Ok, I just put this engine in, and the weekend before Uwharrie the gasket blew. not bad mind you but it was leaking water into number 4 cylinder. Looked like an old Stanley Steamer gong down the road. I had a complete gasket kit from Hawks, which is OEM. Replace the gasket and no more problems. I only had about 1200 miles on the other brand. Not sure which company though. The guy that rebuilt my engine threw it in the box when I picked up hte head. Could be a bad gasket, or ...

Eric

Turn it till it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn
1986 Suzuki Samurai JX
2000 Suzuki Esteem seats
2" Calmini S/R
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:36 PM

When i installed my Swift block in my samurai i used fel-pro gaskets, i remember there was "TOP" punched in one side. They seem to work fine. I also used them for my intake. Did you remove your intake and put a new gasket? I had a probem like this, i removed my intake, and failed to clean off every last bit of old gasket, what a difference it made, could see water pissing out where the collector and the exhaust pipe meet and it steemed a LOT! Took it out cleaned it, used a thin layer of black silicone and worked fine.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, soon 33's. 740 RTI!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode