Suzuki Jimny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 04:05 PM
Jonathan

Suzuki Jimny

Does anyone know if Suzuki of NA plans on bringing the new Suzuki Jimny (aka updated Samurai) to the US. I just saw a new one here (Germany) and I've noticed that they 1) finally have the convertable model in production, 2)are putting in a new, more powerful, engine in them. The new engine is still a 1300, but it is now a MPI DOHC engine (it looks like a smaller version of the 2.0 in the Vitara) I bet it's good for at least 90-100 hp. Anyway, I'm hoping that this is in preparation for the US market. The Suzuki dealer here is selling lots of the little guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 04:15 PM
mike shannon

Re: Suzuki Jimny

i have asked about it to a couple of the dealerships around here but as far as i can tell it won't happen. and that is a shame because they all so have a turbo diesel option. and if i remember right it converted to about 9000 american for a brand new one.later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I highly doubt it. Unless they put airbags in them on both sides, and meet new side-impact regulations, it ain't gonna happen. This is what killed the D-90 from being brought in anymore.

I just read a report of proposed manufacturer's regulations which seemingly will make the Wrangler a thing of the past. Won't be too long and they'll all have us driving 4x4s that look like mini-vans :^(

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:34 PM

you guys ever thought of moving south?

for example, in peru there are NO restrictions and NO checks at all ... hmm...

how does this sound to you???

I guess the problem (indirectly) is the sue-happiness of the americans (drinking boiling coffee and then sueing McD, robbers that sue you if the get hurt stealing from your house) ... this all creates a climate for more and more "margin of error" for all car-builders and legislators...

hmm... just rambling
alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ever seen a J**p Varsity or a Dodge Maxx Cab. Look in Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road Mag Jan 2001 Page 16. Concept Cars but Concepts will soon become reality.

bucwheat
88.5 Zuk,4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s,2 inch over RRO Shackles,1 inch body lift,RRO Z-bar
Full Camo--Coyotes beware
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:35 PM

I agree that the coffee and burgler suing is an odd example of our justice system, and im not to fond of our government. But all be told, I love america simply for its capitolism. It is so true when they say the land of opprotunity and I love that fact that anyone can do just about anything. Not that I dont like Peru, or the idea of moving out of the u.s. (im moving to spain in a few years actually) but what you can do here is fantastic, im sure you must know this though. Im not a fanatic, but i do believe that the lack of restrictions like emmissions is very unhealthy for all humans. I like to see the enviorment taken care of, and paying a little more for it does not bother me. I of course dont like that when it goes against my interests like outdoor recreation, but i find most comprimises amiable. Sorry for the ramble, Have a good New Year. max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:25 AM
Jonathan

The Suzuki Jimny is the new "samurai" with the a completely new body design and the straight axle/coil sprung chassis. It has replaced the samurai in nearly all markets that aren't third world. FYI, it's in the latest issue of the Katana.

FYI, the Jimny has power steering, a 1300 DOHC engine, dual airbags, side impact supports, all the latest safety features etc. Imagine a cross breeding between the vitara and the samurai and you'll get the picture; a much more refined samurai. It looks like they're prepping it up for the US market with the introduction of the convertable model and the more powerful engine.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:16 AM

How about a picture? Tells a thousand words 8^}

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:44 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>I just read a report of proposed manufacturer's regulations which seemingly will make the Wrangler a thing of the past. </font color=blue>

So true. What report was it? I saw an ad in one of the magazines I get that in 2003 Jeep may have an "Off-Road" edition of the Wrangler out, with D44's front and rear, NP241 transfer case, rear discs, and a bunch of other goodies. Yeah, right, when pigs fly. There're not going to build a decent jeep for 5% of the population. I have also heard reports (rumors mostly), that the Wrangler will cease production in 2003, great crash tests but terrible fuel mileage, doesn't fit the "green" image. If it does cease, it'll end a 60 year tradition.

Have you guys seen the new "Jeep Liberty"? It's starting down that road to look like every other "SUV" on the planet. Oh well, the Grand Vitara still has a full frame, right?

I'd love to see a TD Sami in the US, I'd buy one tomorrow. Why don't auto manufacturers import the cool diesel engines from other countries?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:03 PM

Jeepn,

i do not have ANY information on the wrangler's future, but find it hard to believe that they might cease production.

I guess the reason why Mercedes "bought" Chrysler is due to the Jeep label... and therefore they need the Wrangler, kindalike a flagship ... for legitimacy purposes...

Working for yrs. now in Marketing in different countries of the world, one cannot estimate highly enough the importance of a Wrangler for a brand like Jeep. (not to confuse this with its REAL importance in terms of sales, but its the "Marketing-hook" jeep is hanging on.)

as i said, thats just gut-feeling and my experience in marketing... but anybody that remembers the worldwide hype in 96 when the TJ came out would be hard pressed to give up jeeps crown-jewels...

Another part of it is about market-segmentation... what trucks does jeep have to cater "the young and restless", the wrangler buyers... Those people wont buy the rather old cherokee, nor the GCherokee. They have a foot in this young-outdoors-adventure-w/o roof, etc.... market and they are not gonna give it up...

anyhow... could be wrong... (could somebody save this mail till 2003? ;0)

later
alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode