XL-7 exhaust upgrade question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

XL-7 exhaust upgrade question?

I need to play with my XL-7. While the stock exhaust system is made of stainless steel, the muffler is huge and probably pretty restrictive. There are also three (3) catalytic converters on this thing. Two diretly below the exhaust manifolds and one underneath the chassis. The stock exhaust is certainly quiet but I want more performance. Would a 2.5" custom cat-back with a turbo muffler be proper for the 2.7 V6 or should I go with a 2.25" system? Thanks.

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 09:16 PM

Re: XL-7 exhaust upgrade question?

If you have to go through smog checks you might not want to mess with the converters and related sensers. So the 2.5 or larger cat back may be good. However if smog is not an issue, maybe there is room for duals. Generally the mini cats size allow them to be place closer to the exhaust manifold an so light off sooner thereby reducing pollutants quicker.

If money is not object, contact Borla and see if they have something in the works. A complete Borlas stainless header/exhaust system would be sweet. Its a shame to mess with the expensive stainless system that comes from the factory.

As far as a muffler is concerned, check out the Magnaflow mufflers (they have an interesting internet site). They are straight through and low restriction. I have one on my Samurai. They are available through Trail Tough.

If a 2" is good for the 1.3l then the larger size exhaust should be good for a 2.7l

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You must remember that there is a O2 sensor in the manifold and after first set of Catalytic converters. This is a OBD2 requirement AND if you CHANGE it, you can and WILL void your warranty and is going to be reported to the SMOG people on your next check. It is stored in the computer, and is not removable without Dealer intervention.

Be careful

<font color=blue>Staff of Petroworks</font color=blue>
1-800-952-8915
http://www.petroworks.com

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies. I went with 2.5" aluminized pipes with an IMCO aluminized turbo muffler from the cat back. So far the noise level is acceptable even for the rear most passengers. I hope the noise level does not grow as the muffler packing settles in. Performance in the low end range is about the same. Mid range performance is better and top end feels great. Hopefully mileage figures will increase.

Bruce

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went from the Bay Area to Reno and back yesterday and I must say that the mileage has imporved. While Suzuki claims to get 20 MPG on the freeway, I was getting about 18 MPG. With the new cat back exhaust I got 21MPG and I do have a lead foot. It sure feels great to have more power and mileage.

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode