This SUCKS, I have a problem!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

This SUCKS, I have a problem!!

I work at a Fire Dept, so I'm always at the station, more then home! It sucks that I can't post or reply to anything! I guess the Fire Chief cought on to my habbit of always being on the computer at work! I try to post but it always comes up with "unable to display, browser isn't set-up for COOKIES" What the hell is a cookie, I like to eat them but I didn't know the computer likes them also! How do I fix the problem? Sorry for the non-Zuk problem but I can't stand it anymore! Later

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:46 PM

Re: This SUCKS, I have a problem!!

in semp terms ( all i know ) a cookie is the info stored on your computor that tells the sith who you are & other info, without it the BBS cant post

Trail Walking on Tenn Walkers , easyer that way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do you leave your computer at home on-line and logged onto the BBS? If you do that can be part of your problem. I think you can only log on to the BBS with one computer and reply to posts.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, everything else pretty much bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Could be a firewall issue.

Samething is going on at my Job. We got really kookie lately and there have been a lot of MIS folks around. Ever since then I can't reply and posting takes a long time.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok folks, I build internet sites for a living, and I have also taught Multimedia and Web related studies at college. This info should help you all out.

The cookie is used to identify particular information about you. This information is simply in a text file and contains only the pertanent infor that this or any other site requires. Each site can set a cookie to your machine (can not do anything but set and read the cookie, therefor no security issues need to be talked about).

The cookie can identify forms that you have filled, the last time you were at the site and things like that. This site uses persistant cookies to:
1> identify you
2> know when you were last here
3> see if you are logged in or not

and a few other things.

The reason you are getting that error is because you haven't set your browser up properly. It's fairly simple to change this setting and takes a few seconds. It's not a firewall, connection or anything like that. It's simply a check box that allows this or any other site to post a text file to you hard drive which will contain information that that particular site requires from you.

I could go on for hours and even more detail, but follow this link to some tutorials I made on how to setup the cookie function in your

Click here for the Collection House tutorials

It's one of my dodgier client sites. Simply follow that link and then select the link at the bottom of the screen that is inside the grey box area.

oh and you can have as many machines as you want running and logged into this board. HOW??? Because each computer has a cookie set and the browser reads it. It's a client side function not a server side function. So you can have your machine on at home and your one in the office and both machines can participate in all of the functions available on this message board.

just my 2cents worth of knowledge for you all

Happy zooking folks.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 07:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

Cookies are packs of info so computers can "talk" to each other. It relays info for BBS services. I'm using netscape. Under "preferences" then, "advanced" ... is an option to turn on "accept cookies" - try that, it might help. Or there may be other preferences in your application to accept them.
Hope that's some help. I'm glad Zukes are easier to work on than computers!

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

WOW, thanks skippy! That should help me when I go into work today! I have to check-out that link! Thanks for all the info guys! Maybe i won't be bored at work anymore! Later

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:54 PM

hehe i might try that. During the week i usually go to the library from school at lunch or somthing, i cant reply to anything on BBS but i can post and use e-mails and private messages. It just stopped letting me post one day. Altho i doubt i can do much about this because they seem to have some thing which disables me to touch any settings on their browsers or comp. At home i can post fine. I also dont log off at home, so i might try that. But no worries till 2001 because im on holodays!!!!
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, GM100A Alt, soon 33's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode