Distributor cap grenading ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Distributor cap grenading ??

The other day, my distributor cap grenaded into several pieces and consequently shutting the motor down. After installing a new cap and rotor, the motor would not idle at all but it would run off idle (crappy) allowing me to limp home. Checked the timing and it was dead on. After playing and not really doing anything, it started like nothing ever happened. Idled smooth and ran strong. Could the no idle problem have been a bit of bad gas? OK, I set myself up for Tums or Malox responses..... Might have this been 2 problems now corrected or just the residual effects of the cap blowing apart? Inquiring minds want to know.... Thanks...

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 10:46 PM

Re: Distributor cap grenading ??

[b]<font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]-That's a great question. I would have to assume that it's got something to do with the placement of the cap &/or the rotor upon install.Also if you cleaned the new cap with anything like wd40 or water. It may have been a little moist in there, as far as when it wouldn't idle at first. It must have popped into place and now the rotor is making a clean contact with the cap in all four places. Hope that didn't give you an ulser. Old caps grenade all the time. After 12 years working in the auto repair business, I've seen it hundreds of times..
hope that was all it was.

<font color=blue>BIGBEARZUK Big Bear Ca.</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]-87 suzuki Hard Top,
5.5 SPOA 3"springs
,GRSII,33" MTR's,
Locker
</font color=purple>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Probably the cap was a little off-center, and moving it aligned it better. Take the cap off, does it look scored in the inside terminals where the rotor button contacted it? If it was contacting one side, it was missing the other, the combination of the two causing it to run crappy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:52 PM
Old Hand

I had a distributor that would just quit for no reason, that i cound find anyway. I would take the cap and rotor off, and them put them right back on the same way and it would work fine for days.(even happened at Zukimelt) I finally got sick of the constant headache and replaced it with a whole distributor out of a junkyard samurai. Who knows why it wasn't working right..

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i grenaded a cap in the summer. i climbed this steep hill, broke a t-case mount and it gave enough to let the cap hit the firewall, heater hose?

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Good point regarding the cap placement. The new cap was a cheapo no name replacement that fit a bit unusual and I had to play with it to fit on. I never had a cap that was reluctant to seat on the distributor before, but I suppose there is a first for everything.
Funny, but several weeks ago while going through my parts bins, I came across several cap & rotors and something told me I should carry one. I should listen to those voices follow through. I've learned in life's journey that they are never wrong. It would have saved me some walking and inconvenience.
Lesson learned......
Thanks for all your input and help.........

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

While we are on the subject of distributor caps, here's another question.
When replacing one with a new cap, I've found that sometimes but not all the time, there develops a "static" or "crackle" on my stereo. If I change the caps to the original, it dissappears. This happens all the time on my 91 but only recently on my 87. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

BTW...Bigbearzuk...there is Karma. It is sometimes very suttle and is sometimes very patient in appearing. However, it is very real, even if it doesn't show itself in the hour of our want......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode