In-Dash CD Players Skipping? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 07:06 AM
zukiman

In-Dash CD Players Skipping?

Has anybody here had experience skip-proofing an in-dash CD player in a Samurai? The two different units I have used in the past (a Pioneer and a Sansui) were both really awful in regards to skipping on the slightest bumps, even with my super-squishy suspension. A friend of mine has one of the new Sony X-plod CD players in his Samurai and it doesn't skip all that often, but with the skipping being a major pet-peeve of mine, I want my CDs as skip-proof as possible.

I am looking into getting an Aiwa CDC-MP3 in-dash mp3/CD player. It couldn't have a broader range of anti-skip reviews from the voices of the 'Net.

Are there any secret tricks to making an in-dash unit more immune to skipping?

Also, I don't have a stock radio box (my Samurai's an '87) and I'd like a new, higher-quality one than the cheapo plastic stocker. Does anybody know where I can get an upgraded radio box that will fit in the stock location?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:29 AM
pugrocker

Re: In-Dash CD Players Skipping?

I have the Pioneer DEH-P7200 (with the plasma display) and it hardly ever skips - I am driving a lifted Samurai after all. The newer CD players are alot better and feature more memory to help smooth out the skipping. (It also has alot to do with how you mount in the dash, Make sure that is sits really tight and doesn't have the ability to flop around over bumps.)

The newer CD players that have come out in the past year or so are so much better than the previous generations of CD players (they have better internal suspension systems and memory).

pug

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:37 AM
Old Hand

I have a sony x-plod and I am not that impressed with it. If it is cold outside and I hit the smallest bump it skips. It is also very sensitive to scratches in cd's. I have some cd's that are too scratched to listen to in my Samurai, but play fine in other cd players. Mp3 players sound like a good idea, that would take care of your skipping problem. How much does that Aiwa unit run? Also try to get the cd player to sit as level as possible, which is harder to do if you have the separate radio box. I'd love to get a Delco cd player they never skip. They also run $400 i've heard

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Pioneers are great (my brother in law recently put his car in a big ditch, and his 7200 didn't skip!), but if you're looking for a good off-road deck, look at the Panasonic Rebel Gear CD players. These decks DO NOT SKIP! They're designed for off-road use.

As for mounting, there's nothing much that you can do to prevent skipping, aside from lining all of the deck's mounting points with some foam tape. This will cut down on the sharp bumps, which cause the most skips.

91 Suzuki Sidekick JX Softtop. K&N Filter, Aurora 8mm Plug Wires.
www.geocities.com/vtecsucks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:24 PM
zukiman

I would love to get one of the off-road oriented in-dash units, but I want to play mp3s in my Samurai. So far, only Kenwood and Aiwa have in-dash mp3/CD players, but the Kenwood is around $650 while the Aiwa is about $280. I could get one of the mp3 discmen with 100+ seconds of anti-skip memory and just plug it into some amps, but that would be a lot more complicated and a lot less convenient, and I'd be without a radio.

Since I have to get a radio box anyway, should I design it so that the CD player sits as level as possible? Are they more skip-resistant at that orientation, as opposed to being angled up a bit towards the driver?

Rather than mounting the CD player solidy, would it be better to "suspend" it with foam to help soak up some of the larger bumps? Obviously, I don't want to be blocking the unit's ventilation with the foam, but I'm wondering if that would help isolate the unit from the sharp jolts that seem to be the worst for causing CD players to skip.

Thanks!

--Geoff Beasley

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 04:32 PM
pugrocker

Geoff -

The newer CD players ride on a "suspension system" that helps smooth out the skipping. I would think that if the CD player sits in the opening loose, you would increase the possibilities of the unit flopping around and counteracting the suspension system. Trial and error always works the best though...........good luck!!!

pug

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Get a cd changer. I will guarantee that a jvc cd will not skip. If it does hell ill buy it from you. I rolled my samurai 3 times and endoed once and mine never skipped. My buddies said they were singing the whole time it was goin on. As for me, when my head broke the pass. side windshield it knocked me out. I say get a jvc because it will fit under the drivers seat. Mine has also been covered (the river came up level with my seats) and it still plays.

Just my opinion
will

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

I heard that if you don't play it off-road it would help it not to skip on the road......

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 08:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

Geoff-
Sorry as this is not OTS but I can not find the Suzy's on the Rocks 2000 write up @ off-road.com I think the link is gone.
Thanks Bill---

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 03:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The deck currently in my Tracker is a Clarion Pro Audio RDX765Dz, i have yet to get it to skip at all offroad or simply because of the bass and was often able to skip decks in vehicles at stoplights. I swapped it out for the Pioneer POS that i had in it before, that would skip simply because of the bass in the truck (hell i keep knocking my hardtop loose with it even). Id skip the AIWA CDC/MP3, its just cheap in just about every way possible, burn ur mp3s as redbook and play them using a decent deck, it also makes sorting a whole lot easier anyways. If ur dead set on the mp3 player, just get a portable and plug into an amp and throw it in a custom console. I sold every component of mah setup besides my deck, and im currently rebuilding with better components.

Justin
Bbytrkr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode