1.3 buildup, or used 1.6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1.3 buildup, or used 1.6?

im trying to decide whether or not to rebuild/bore my 1.3. i have it stripped down completely. i wanted to rebuild it but its gonna cost more than i origanally planned. i have 450 bucks saved. a cam is 100, kit is roughly 350 with oil pump. machining,head, bore, spin crank, acid bath is $340 complete locally. grand total is around 800 bucks diy.
and i wanted this all done by spring eh? i haven't researched the 1600 option much lately. my zuk friend craig was tryin to talk me into the 1600 this past weekend. he has one in his off-road zuk, and 1.3 built in daily driver zuk.
any ways i'm hoping you guys would swing me in the right direction. it took a rreeaaal long time to save the money!!! that is the hardest part. i also have to build the susp. and body. they won't cost much at all though (we tend to build just about everything.)
if i build 1.3 its brand new. im chancing a used 1.6.

build it, break it, then build it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1.3 buildup, or used 1.6?

the 1.6 will have more power,but after I did mine I'm kinda wishing I'd stuck with the 1.3 and just hopped it up.I've doubled my horsepower by boring the 1.6 .40 over added a .330 lift isky, headers,high output alt and several other little mods.The thing I noticed most is the price of 1.6 parts over the 1.3.All in all I would have stayed with the 1.3 just for cost versus gain.but dont get me wrong i like the 1.6

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes you are chancing the used 1.6, BUT you never know. The 1.6 I put in my 86 has 135k oringinal on it, with the FI conversion will out pull, out tow, and out climb any 1.3, including my 95 with only 50k. I chose the 1.6 due to the longer connecting rods= more tourqe.
About 4 months ago while comming back from a trial I was behind my buddie in his 88 built 1.3, he got on the CB and gloated "that 1.6 is barley keeping up with me" (note he was turning about 4500 rpms, mine at 2500). Well I gave it some more gas and I gained on him quik, I didn't shift down just the gas. Needless to say he is rebuilding the 1.3 again tring to get more power to beat my stock 1.6.
I pulled the pan on my 1.6 before installing it to make sure the lower end was good, but thats all. BTW I still get 23+ mpg, city/hiway/offroad
If I had to do it again i'd still go with the 1.6.
My 2 cents

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2000, 08:08 PM

$hit, I can't go anyplace at 2500 RPMs with my 1.3!! I do more than 2500 RPMs going out of the driveway.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode