Side Kick gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Side Kick gears

Hey guys I am new to this forum but not new to Zuks in general. If you have any questions about axle or engine swaps let me know, I can help. I was at a junkyard yesterday and I picked up the front and rear axles off of a Sidekick for one of my buddies with a Sammy. I remember hearing that these gears could be used in the Sammys. I think I may just use the entire rear axle because it is wider than stock, if I can get the diff to line up. Will his rear locker work in the Sidekick third member? Also, the front third member of the Sidekick looks puny, can I drop its gears into the Zuk front third member or should I exchange the entire third member? Anyother suggestions? Thanks Tyler

1987 Suzuki Samurai, Original Owner, Danna 44's 38.5" Super Swamper SX, 4.3 liter Chevy engine, Th700r4 transmission, Dual lockers, 3/4 eliptical suspension, daily driven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Side Kick gears

tyler,

I don't know if the samurai locker will work in the rear axle of a sidekick. I met a guy yesterday that put the sidekick reaer in his samurai and didn't bother to line up the driveline. He said he doesn't get any vibrations although I Think it was a trail only zuk(no hiway).

as for the front third members. you can use the complete kick one but I wouldn't (more like can't) put a locker in the aluminum member as it would explode. If you put the kick gears on the samurai carrier you will need a spacer to shim out the ring gear and some sort of tube (coffe can or other) to slide over the carrier to keep the cross pins from sliding out.

Just finished doing mine and it wasn't too difficult.

Hope this helps!

Chet

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sidekick rears use a different locker than the Samurai. You will want to get a Sidekick specific locker if he wants to go that route.

Also, if he doesn't want to go through the hassle of swappoing out the rear axle, it is worthless to you. Only the FRONT gears from a Sidekick can be used in a Samurai. Rears will not work.

You will want to ditch the differential from the Sidekick front and keep only the gears. Couple reasons... one is you can't use a locker in the Sidekick 3rd member. Main reason is that the Sidekick 3rd member is all aluminum and break EASY. Like... VERY EASY. First thing it hits on the trail will grenade it. Might as well save the aggravation and drop the gears into your Samurai diff.

Finally, if you do swap the Sidekick rear im, keep in mind it will take some work. Going from coils to leaf springs, different size so different driveshaft, and a centered differential means you could likely experience drivetrain vibes on a regular basis if the vehicle is to be driven on the highway much. A Samurai has an offset differential.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Glen. He currently has one of your 5.5" spoa lifts on his sammy. It is no trouble to weld up new perches and shock mounts. I was thinking of offseting the axle and running your 2" backspace wheels on one side and standard wheels on the other to help make up for the difference (hillbilly, but it works). Also run 2" offset wheels up front to help make up for the differance. I also beleave that the driveshaft flanges interchange and that the brake lines are the same. The only thing that won't interchange is the parking break. I remmember reading on Rock-road that spidertrax uses the sidekick third members on the full floating rear. It says that a rear sammy locker can be used in this case as long as the sidegears are transfered. Is this accurate? He has the locker with sidegears. Sidekick axle diameter is about 1/4" thicker, axler is 5" wider. Looks much beefier but does anybody know for sure? I agree that the front third member off the sidekick looks weak so I will only use the gears from that. Thanks for the info.
Tyler

1987 Suzuki Samurai, Original Owner, Danna 44's 38.5" Super Swamper SX, 4.3 liter Chevy engine, Th700r4 transmission, Dual lockers, 3/4 eliptical suspension, daily driven.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may want to contact Spidertrax directly on what they got going on with their rear axles.

Sounds like you guys are thinking through things a bit on the offsets, driveshafts, etc. Most folks just take swapping axles for granted and don't realize all the work that goes in as well as extra little gotchas that add up in cost.

Ditching the front Kick diff and keeping the gears is a good idea though. If you guys are into rocks at all, it won't last very long.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glenn, I remember reading in your website a year or two ago that the best thing you could do if you really love cars is to get a mechanical engineering degree. That is what I am about to finish and it definately helps you think through things. As far as axle swaps this is alot easier than the Danna 44 and 3/4 eliptic swap on my zuk. Thanks for the help.

1987 Suzuki Samurai, Original Owner, Danna 44's, 38.5" Super Swamper SX, 4.3 liter Chevy engine, Th700r4 transmission, Dual lockers, 3/4 eliptical suspension, daily driven in Cincinnati, Ohio.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 01:17 AM
Addict

I used the rear tracker gears by cutting the center section out of the tracker, and cutting the center section of of the samurai axle and welding the center section of the tracker to the tubes of the samurai. it works well for me, and i have no vibrations. of course it took quite a bit of time making sure the tubes were lined up right and everthing.
I don't have a locker, but it is my understanding that with this setup you can use a samurai locker. after i get my v6 in i will probably have to go back to stock gears though.
the only reason i used the rear chunk of the tracker though, is because i got it free. i don't know if it is any stronger or not.

1990 samurai spoa
soon to have 2.8 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode