Red hot hubs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Red hot hubs

Welp, yesterday i went on a fairly long wheelin trip in Baby Tracker by myself up to a local trail called Coyote in the Sierra Nevada mountains.. i had it in 4-Hi for the whole trip, including when i was playing in the sand after i came down off the trail. Well anyways, I went to unlock my hubs.. and i was definately in for a surprise, i grabbed it to twist.. and with a slow reaction time, burned and blistered my right hand fairly nastily. This can't be normal, what can i do to stop them from heating up? (they were hot enough to ignite paper)... TIA

Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:43 PM

Re: Red hot hubs

a couple of things can be going on, one your bearings are too tight, did you just re pack them or have them changed? Two your bearings have gone bad and with it probably your spindle too. Fellas help me out, but I think those are the main two culprits. Itll need work for sure. Good luck. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, If i remember correctly, i had the bearings repacked as part of the 60,000 mile tune-up when i was trying to get it smogged (turned out to be a bad tc solenoid), do you think it was a botched job?

Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 01:04 AM

how long ago was it? it sounds like they were put on too tight, but someone else should ring in on it later on today and confirm my theory. I was told that Id burn my hand if i had put the bearings in too tight, and it sounds just like what youve done, so go figure.....

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 03:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It sure sounds like the wheel bearings. Why they are getting hot might be determined when you pull them apart. Even if they were installed too tight, I would replace them. If you can get another spindle, I would replace them as well. Heat and critical components do not mix well. If in doubt about replacing them, refer to the FSM. It's a piece of cake. Hope this helps....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 04:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was about 3 or 4 weeks ago that i got it serviced (from now on, im doing most of the work myself though) ive never had it in 4wd for that long though, ive only taken it offroad like 4 or 5 times since i got it about a month and 1/2 ago. Burn is healing fine btw.. heh

Justin

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 04:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It must be the bearings, the locking hub (Unless its broken, and spinning inside) would not cause this.
easy to tell just unbolt the outer hub and pull it apart. it should have splines on the side of it.
Hope the hand is okay..

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Cadawg, don't pay for [censored] work!!! Go back and tell the BOZO that did the job and let him explain WHY the friggin' thing is getting so hot. Play dumb, but be informed. They don't like it when you know more then they think you know! Knowledge is power.....
I HATE to have anything done on my trucks by someone else, but when you have to........(or I'm to lazy).....
That would be my advise to you.

DannyL
Pony Express

88.5 5.5" SPOA,8K Warn,4.16's,TuffySkid Plate, Custom bumpers,nerfs.
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com/cover.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

something i have seen thats not mentioned yet, is your brake calipers might be stuck or draging.it will heat the rotor and radiate to your hub.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:43 PM

I agree with Rick, I was out Wheeling with my friend in his zuk and when we went to wach the front tire, nothing but steam. It turns out that the caliper was stuck and heated the whole rim and hub. Cost quite a bit to repair too.

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode