I have been wheeling today, and on my way home (already on asphalt!!!! - stupid me!!!) ... i had to try a tricky dirt-road...
to cut a long story short:
- rear wheelhop
- `case jumps out of 4wd
- manage to get it into 4wdlow againg, but shifter feels "spongy"
- more panic
- more throttle, more breaks - more of everything
- forward movement ends
- rolling out backwards (dont worry, no flip-over - but ugly sound coming from "down-under" first guess: the locker granaded and took the r/p with it...)
- get under the sami
- transfer-case can be moved (wiggled up and down) like 2" (measured at the flanges)
- could not get it out of 4wd (as the case would tilt under the "mickey-mouse-force" of the small shifter lever ;o( )
- just got home in 4wd (hubs open) and guess what ...
the transfer-case mounting surface (on the cast alu-case) where it mounts to the mounting arm (all passanger side ) had exploded.... about 1/3 of the contact surface is gone
- one threat lies completely open... there is hardly any contact between the case and the pass.mounting arm (right .... that explains the wiggling)
my Q: can the case be saved? can you weld this damn thing up somehow? If yes, anything special to observe?
if not... anybody knows where to get a transfer-case "case" (just need the cast-alu case w/out interior)?
thanks for helping out, guys
... other than that, i had a HELL of a day... since i put the rear Lright, the sami is like a point-and-shoot weapon... got to love it...!!!!!
i climbed some 4-5feet vertical ledges - absolutely head-on, w/out even spinning a tire... (aeehhmm.. before the mishap that is ....
as i said... any help w/ the case welcome