EMERGENCY - SAVE MY DAY !!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

EMERGENCY - SAVE MY DAY !!!!!

Folks,

I have been wheeling today, and on my way home (already on asphalt!!!! - stupid me!!!) ... i had to try a tricky dirt-road...

to cut a long story short:
- rear wheelhop
- `case jumps out of 4wd
- panic
- manage to get it into 4wdlow againg, but shifter feels "spongy"
- throttle
- more panic
- more throttle, more breaks - more of everything
- forward movement ends
- rolling out backwards (dont worry, no flip-over - but ugly sound coming from "down-under" first guess: the locker granaded and took the r/p with it...)
- get under the sami
- transfer-case can be moved (wiggled up and down) like 2" (measured at the flanges)
- could not get it out of 4wd (as the case would tilt under the "mickey-mouse-force" of the small shifter lever ;o( )

- just got home in 4wd (hubs open) and guess what ...

the transfer-case mounting surface (on the cast alu-case) where it mounts to the mounting arm (all passanger side ) had exploded.... about 1/3 of the contact surface is gone

- one threat lies completely open... there is hardly any contact between the case and the pass.mounting arm (right .... that explains the wiggling)

my Q: can the case be saved? can you weld this damn thing up somehow? If yes, anything special to observe?

if not... anybody knows where to get a transfer-case "case" (just need the cast-alu case w/out interior)?

thanks for helping out, guys

... other than that, i had a HELL of a day... since i put the rear Lright, the sami is like a point-and-shoot weapon... got to love it...!!!!!

i climbed some 4-5feet vertical ledges - absolutely head-on, w/out even spinning a tire... (aeehhmm.. before the mishap that is ....)

as i said... any help w/ the case welcome

thanks, folks
Alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 01:30 PM

Re: EMERGENCY - SAVE MY DAY !!!!!

Alfred,

The T-Case is a very high quality aluminum, if you have the pieces (1 piece I hope) it can be welded back in without a lot of trouble. If it disintergrated the mount, you are probably out of luck. I am trying to purchase T-Cases for use as spare parts, and also for pre-installed 4.16 gear sets, but I don't know when I will have them, all depends on the price. If the case is really busted up, best bet is to locate one in a junk yard. What type mounting were you running? Stock mounts ot aftermarket?

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Tim:

thanks for answering...

my tranny-mount is still stock... (got 4.16 gears in it, tho...).

Nope, didn't recuperate the parts (didn't noticed that a part was missing until i was at my house)

The thing is that there is at least one threat cracked open... i was thinking maybe one could weld a threated rod (kinda like a screw w/o head) into the case (i dont know if you can weld alu to steel) and then put a nut on it on the other side...

also will check on the case here locally (junk-yards), but my guess is they just sell it as a whole ($$$ ;o( - i know i would ;o)

Nevertheless, if you can come up w/ a case in the nearer future (or somebody has one lying around and is willing to sell it) i'd highly appreciate it!

ok, thats about it ...

i was so high at noon on my lil suki (could even need 10 cc. of BMW to come down) ... and then... baaaaang!

... but what the heck...

see you all,
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hi alfred,you just did what i did a couple of weeks ago.thats why you need to change to stronger arms as well as poly bushing mounts.they will bust if you do not do this.both alfred and i ruined our 4;16 t-cases,PLEASE,make the change now $21.00 vs $600.00.your choice.alfred if you can not find a case.i will send you my t-case.it needs to be welded,but the piece is there that broke.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

RRick,

i am not sure about this... i know that the stock mounts are weak and prone to break... thats why i kept them (kind of a fusable-link - the idea is to destroy the weakest (cheapest) part of the chain, not the most expensive)

guess my theory didn't work out quite as i thought...

I will check with my personal mechanic tomorrow and see what can be done...

I keep you guys informed

thanks
alfred

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 06:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Alfred, I was planning on leaving my stock mounts as the weak link too. I guess ill have to find another "planned" weak link.

Will

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Petroworks carries blank, empty Tcase cases for the Samurai. Call them @ 1 800 952 8915. or email @ [email protected].

They also care the revised OEM mounts for the TCASE, more pliable better compound, as well as re-enforced arms.

Aaron

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if the new rubber mounts are still bonded rubber to the steel plate / stud ,i would not use them.i used a bolt that goes thru everything with a poly bushing.some guys are now going to car valve springs to give you flex and strenght as well.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We can sell you just the case half that exploded if you like. We have piles in stock. No need to buy all new case pieces, just the one that was damaged.

We also have our new tcase arms (pics not up yet) which mounts to the regular mounting holes and also to the PTO output on the rear. This eliminates the problem of you breaking open your housing again. Also, our new mounting arm is NOT a beefed up unit, but a full custom unit built from 2x3x3/16" tubing and cannot be hurt or destroyed.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

I found this nested in among a lot of Jeep parts on the For Sale board. Though you might be interested....

Suzuki Samurai transfercase - Make offer
All prices are negotiable, and the purchaser pays shipping.
All items are located in SW Florida.
If interested email my friend at [email protected]

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode