opinions on carb options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

opinions on carb options

My stock carb has finally crapped out on my 87 and on a budget,what is the best carb for the money?Is it worth rebuilding the old one?I know this subject has been beat to death,but I need some updated advice for this one.TIA!

No shame in HIS name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: opinions on carb options

Hi, I installed the weber from Calmini,and what an increase in power. The only thing I have to worry about is emissions, but I kept the stock one for smog checks. I had the stock carb. rebuilt for about 200.00, I'm sure someone on this board probably has one for sale.

87 Sami conv. Header 2" ex. 4-16 t-case, 4"lift,weber, rear lockrite,rancho's, and a very long wish list.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am very pleased with my old Weber now that I filled in the bowl vents. It seems to run great on any angle and any condition.
I also have 2 or 3 stock carbs laying around I would sell. I can really comment on how they work since I installed the engine in my sammy with a Weber but they are complete. If someone is willing to take a chance the price would be right.

Zip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 02:05 PM

I have a stock one on my hardtop that runs flawlessly but im swapping my engine out soon for a 1.6 till I can find a diesal. Heidi has a weber on hers that sucks up the a$$ for off roading. Im used to it after glenn showed me how to adjust the float, but I think it needs to be adjusted at the jets. For all practical purposes Heidi can live with it, bless her heart. I have a pony that im going to instal with a fuel regulator when I go to the 1.6 with a 1.3 head. I have friends who run it and its just one tight little machine. I have spouted out the mouth endlessly with how happy I am to purchase a pony for cheap from DannyL, in fact for two hundred you could get two and be well on your way to a rebuild kit for it as well. I think for the price, webbers suck and ponys are the cats meow in the equation of additional power, off camber wheeling, and installation. Good luck on the choice. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 04:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I couldn't have said it better myself.......

Glad you liked the textless Website Max!

DannyL
Pony Express

88.5 5.5" SPOA,8K Warn,4.16's,TuffySkid Plate, Custom bumpers,nerfs.
New>>Now on 33's.....35's next week?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks,now let me ask this...Is it that common for the carbs to "flood out"while hossin it up steep inclines?Honestly thats one of the reasons I wanted to get rid of mine and the other is that the choke is shot out,doesnt work at all!I had to wire my plate open fully just to make it home.Anyway,I can have mine rebuilt just for the price of the kit,but wanted some other options.Thanks for the helpful!

No shame in HIS name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just out of curiosity what does anyone think of the weber side draft setup???

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 10:06 PM

Heidis weber stalls on hills, but feather the clutch and stay on top of it and you can learn it like always. It needs a fuel regulator, as does the pony. 18$ at a vips or pep boys or napa or auto zone fixes it real nicely.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im having great luck with my Weber since I plugged those bowl vents and added a better vent.
One of the areas we wheel is an old shale pit on South Mountain. I always would stall when going off the one "jump"....which is actually no more than a 6-8 ft wall that you can run up for some nice air. I now can stop half way up and she will purr like a kitten. Its a remarkable improvement.
Zip

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:27 AM

Zip, what did you use to plug the vents? Liquid solder? and how did you add a better vent? My logic on the whole thing is why pay 300$ on a weber and still have to do all this, when a pony at under a hundred will give you that classic choke feel and no muss no fuss after install... But since Heidi has this thing, im darn determined to make it good for her. She does off road it occasionally with us boys and I want it to be a fun and painless experience, not "I cant do this itll stall" kind of experience. And then give it up. Thanks for the info, Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode