Advice on buying parts on line from strangers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 05:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advice on buying parts on line from strangers?

Hello. I want to buy some parts from this person. He has a webpage but he is a private seller. I just only know the person's email address. What should I do? I would pay him after I recieved the items but the seller might say no. What should I do? I do not want to get cheated. Thank you for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 05:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Advice on buying parts on line from strangers?

If you don't know the person I wouldn't buy anything big and risk allot of money. Buy some small items until you feel ok with the person. I myself have bought and sold on the net with no problems. Use a postal money order not cash. As far as sending the parts then you pay most of the time it is the other way around. People don't send the goods until they receive payment. Hope this helps. Jim
http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 07:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey there, it costs a little more, but a lot of folks send ups cod. but ups charges a extra $5 for cod. if its something small, i just send the part, n take the person for their word. also helps if you ever heard of the person before too. shoot, i sent a tailgate to a dude who i met once at zukimelt with his word that he will pay me. but i am a VERRRRY trusting fool sometimes. luckly i havent gotten shafted yet.
by the way, who is it? not to try to buy your pieces, but so somebody might be able to give advice about the person based on past experiences. i have heard of money scamin thiefs on here. so be very careful.
later
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
MUD is your friend baby!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 07:54 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Find another way to contact the person, and also try to find out more about them. If it's a large item (or expensive), ask for references and others to contact. Always use a postal money order, they can be traced and if he skips out, it's mail fraud, which carries a LARGE penalty and is a FEDERAL crime.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 08:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

As you might know, I sell Pony carbs to you American folks via the net. As well as selling I also buy parts too. So far I have not had any problems either way. when I sell, I send the money up front including shipping cost. The cost of shipping can be had at the big courriers web sites, easy to do. I feel it's a matter of trust that brings us back to the old days, when a mans word was worth something. I am not saying that there is not someone out there ready to screw you, but the chances are slim in my opinion.
I don't screw people cause I don't want to GET screwed......
If you have his phone number you can also to a reverse search for his addy using the Web. It might make you feel more secure.
If you have any other question e-nmail me off line......

DannyL
Pony Express

88.5 5.5" SPOA,8K Warn,4.16's,TuffySkid Plate, Custom bumpers,nerfs.
New>>Now on 33's.....35's next week?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 11:26 AM
Loweguy

I too have done a TON of business on the net (mainly Jeep parts...sorry). Anyway, I have yet to get screwed, however I do take precautions.

I only trade with people who I have some knowledge of (for instance somebody on this board with whom at least you are familiar on the net), and I always get either a home or office phone number and call them once (for anything big) and offer my phone number to them also. If you still have doubts, call them and see how it goes. If it feels funny don't do it.

I would expect that the seller would expect payment in advance, but they might work with COD as BB stated. Some folks shy away from CODs as sometimes they are refused on the other end and the seller has to pay shipping without making a sale.

Most of the things I have sold over the net have been prepaid by my buyers, but I also give them the date it will ship and offer to mail the tracking number to them as soon as it's packaged.

Good luck. I agree with the other guys...although there are a few sharks out there, I prefer to think that most folks are honorable. I will continue that belief until proven wrong!

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 01:15 PM

i have had good luck on buying off the internet from people
such as suzukijohn & aftermarket2 but i also know the names
of some scam artists. it would help if you tell us who you
are looking to deal with, probaly someone knows about them
oldzuki

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 02:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's all a matter of trust. I'm a private seller as well. I believe most people are good people. I have yet to be screwed my self. And I hope I never do, do your homework and if it feels right then do it.
Bill---

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have gotten shafted once....for sure make sure that you have a phone# and address that you can confirm. Use the whitepages to do a revese lookup or call their local library to find out if they are in the phone book.

Be Carefull,
R

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I sell and buy on the net for the last 3 years (over 500 items to date)and I have had only had one or two problems. Call the guy and talk to him in person. If he's evasive and seems like he's scamming you, he probably is. I bought a Sami engine sight unseen and was VERY happy with what I got....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode