swapping in fuel injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 11:35 PM
psf4x4

swapping in fuel injection

i'm in japan and see a lot of 1.3 and 1.6 motor in cars and they're all fuel injection. how hard would it be for me to change my carb'd 1.3 over to fuel injection. i've heard of people doing it with v-8 motors. any help would be apprecaited(?).

chris "psf"
87 sami/5.5spoa w/1"shackle/grs1/4:57/ez-locked
33tsl's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 06:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: swapping in fuel injection

I am in the process of converting my 1.6 samurai to FI. When I installed my 1.6 it was for more power but I reused the carb/intake setup from the 1.3 which I think does not allow the engine its full potental. Also, my carb is starting to get a little tempermental, one day it is great, the next day not so great. Trail Tough sells a harness that makes the swap easy, I decided to make my own harness and it is not that difficult, just time consuming. Anybody out there done this before? I am looking for tips... To answer your question, yes it can be done with parts from a Sidekick/Tracker. You will need the TBI/intake with all the sensors, harness, computer, dist. coil and ignitor.You will also need the fuel line to the TBI and an electric FI fuel pump. As far as modifing the harness, I cant help you there, I am not done yet and not sure how it will work. I will keep you posted.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 07:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

zooky, i havn't done the wiring for a suzuki but i did when i added efi to the 351w in my jeep. my advice is setup the intake, throttle body, etc on the motor first. then take the new harness and start connecting the connectors where they go. you will notice that there should be alot of wires left over. then use a manual from the donor vehicle to verify your connections. then see what your remaining wires are for and make sure you don't need them before you cut them out. i'm not sure the best way for your swap but i kept the lights and other stuff under the hood wired into the origional jeep harness and then just integrated the ford harness into mine. after it was all said and done i have 4 wires from the ford harness that splice into the jeep harness and they all 4 splice into the same wire in the jeep harness. i also had 1 wire that had to be connected to the hot side of the solinoid. i hope this helps. i will give you two pieces of advice: 1 go get a manual for the donor vehicle because the schematics are a must, and 2 don't cut a wire out until you are absolutly positive you don't need it. you should be ok because i am no wiring guru and i came out ok. just take your time. good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 07:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

good advice high5, that is exactly how I am doing it, I guess I am on the right track. This FI setup looks more basic then the carb, anybody know how reliable the Sidekick FI is? How is this set-up off road? Hope it is worth the effort.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

zooky, i run with a guy who has an fi 1.6L in his zuk and it does great on and off-road. he started with a fi 1.3L in his sami so he didn't have to rewire anything he just hooked it up. i think he just used the fi parts from the 1.3L on his 1.6L though.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35tsl's/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The biggest problem with the FI setup on the samurai (post 90 models) is the computer ends up going out. It seems from the ones we have repaired that there is a corrosion problem on the board. You'll get a 12 code but it wont run. The sidekick TBI models seem to be plagued with the same problem.

We have not experienced it with the 16v computer though.

We hav done a few conversions for the 16v and TBI setups, by far the best source for the conversion is Trail Tough in Oregon, Brent does complete conversion starting at 2500.

Staff of Petroworks
1-800-952-8915
[email protected]
www.petroworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode