Tire size & stock suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tire size & stock suspension

What would be the largest tires to fit under a Sami with a stock suspension? Is it 225's or 235's? Using 1 inch lift shackles, what could you slide under? Thanks...

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 09:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tire size & stock suspension

I have 215/75/15 Cooper discoverer stt's (basically bfg mud t/a at half the price) on stock rims. They WILL NOT rub, at least mine never have. But thats all youre gonna get stock without rubbing. You might get a 225 or 235 with the 1" shackles. Hope this helps

Will

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 11:47 AM
Loweguy

Are you willing to cut and hammer? I actually got my 31's on 7" wide chrome spokes on mine with NO lift. It did, however, rub. I cut the ends off of the bumper and pounded the pinch welds down at the back of both fenders. I really put them on there to see where they would interfere when compressed WITH a lift, but I did drive the truck around town for a couple of days with no lift. The only real interference came when I hit a pothole, etc...then it put the tire UP into the fender!

I would certainly think you can use a 235 with a 1" shackle. That would give you a nearly 29" high tire in place of the 25" stock tires (205/70), plus would obviously elevate the entire truck 1" higher, too. I would suggest, however, that you decide how big of a tire you want in the future, then save your money to get as big as you NEED to in order to clear them. Or, fit a bigger tire on there, knowing you can't off road it until you lift some more.

Happy Zukin (and Thanksgiving!)

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that 225's fit with stock suspension and the guys (that i know of) that run 225's have no rubbing (I guess it depends on the brand). I have 2" springs with 235's and they rub when off-road (it doesn't matter how much lift your springs have if they still flex all the way to the bump stops).

1" shackle lift will be fine with 225's.

If you want bigger tyres on stock springs, (29" to maybe 31") I'd go a 2" body lift. Add that to stock springs on 1" shackles should be fine.

Just make sure you check the seam in the front wheel arch (even with 225's) cause the seam will chew the crap out of your tyres if you can stuff them up that far (hammer it flat).

Jasen

Check out our Suzuki 4WD site in Australia.
! AusZook ! - Australian Suzuki Off-roaders!
http://www.auszook.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running 225 wranglers on stock suspension. I've jacked up one front wheel until the other side leaves the ground without any rubbing.I also have removed my sway bar.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 08:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow, I had 235 MT's on with room to spare. Bumper needed cutting though. The 215 BF AT's fit with no bumper trimming. No heavy duty offroading with either setup. Jim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am running 27X9.50 swamper SSR's with no rub on 3.5" back spaced rims. btw, the SSR's are awesome!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 07:51 PM
sandcars

I had 235x75's on my "chick magnet" with 1 inch shackels. It only rubbed in extreme instances. I happen to have 5 new 235's for sale if you need them. Less than 500 miles on them.

2001 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4, 88 zuk, 5 inch calmini lift,rock crawler t-case,
SandCars Unlimited 4 seat long travel rail w/2275 vw. Which toy today??? KEEP GLAMIS OPEN!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 08:10 PM

Hey Crow-
The 235's should fit even with out the shackles. It's just a matter of articulation, how much do you want, how hard will you be runnin it. In any case I thought you were runnin a 3 in suspension lift any way?

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 3" calmini springs, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
2000 Chev Tracker 235/75 wild cats
Jeep it's whats for dinner
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 09:02 PM
Old Hand

All tires are not created equal. There can be a lot of difference in size between brands.

I ran P235/75's on my zuk with a stock suspension on stock rims. I had NO rubbing. Even under extreme wheeling. But I have heard of some people having trouble with 235's rubbing.

So in my opinion....225 you should be fine....235's might be close depending on your Zuk and the tires.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]

http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode