Wading - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wading

First, Thanks to everyone who helped me with my overcooling problem, I was pleasantly surprised at the response. (it still isn't fixed though, I think the auto-choke needs replacing).

Here is my next question: I have a carburetted Samurai, lifted about 1" by new springs. Does anyone know what the wading depth is for a Samurai that's not lifted much? I have been through about 2' without any trouble. Landrover say that wading depth is generally just under the radiator fan's bottom edge for their vehicles.

I'm looking to increase the depth to about 3", any ideas? I've already started building a snorkel.

Would anyone who's been swimming in their Samurai care to enlighten me?

Cheers, Scott.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 01:22 PM

Re: Wading

To drive into water that covers, or even partially covers, the fan, you should install an electric fan. With an engine-driven fan, the fan pulls itself into the radiator and rips it open [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. With an electric fan you just flip the cut-off switch and go diving [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Also- dont forget to seal the distributor. Run a bead of slicone adhesive around the base of the cap. Then drill a hole into the cap and press in a small tube that you can run a breather-hose off of to a higher location (you should route ALL your breather lines to a much higher location as well. If you do the snorkel up to the top of the windshield frame along with these modifications, and your engine doesn't leak oil, you will be able to drive into water until it goes over your head with no problems.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 03:19 PM
SRN

Well, with the stock carburator you can have water up to the bottom of your windsheild. My dad had his in that much water at a creek crossing on the Kane Creek Canyon trail in Moab a few years back. With a Weber carb though thats highly unlikely.

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
http://home.off-road.com/~zukinet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 07:07 PM

... just make sure to run breather hoses from your both diffs and the transfercase way up... 5bucks well spent

alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 08:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

. . . you will be able to drive into water until it goes over your head with no problems.
Hey, Be sure you have a snorkle for yourself. Or learn to hold your breath for a long time! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 08:03 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>Sycho15</font color=blue> has one option, which is a good one. For the smaller radiators, look for fans from a Subaru or Toy, I know of some jeep guys that use them, multiple units of course. They're cheap and waterproof, no need to spend a lot of $$$. Another option is the electric clutch fan, it uses a thermostat to activate the fan, but you can rig this off a switch to turn it off. Not sure of it's size, but heck, with torches and a welder, anything's possible. A/C compressors usually use this clutch pulley as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a site that should give you alot of ideas for waterworks. It not only about snorkels

http://www.worldoffroad.com/begin/snorkel.asp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode