Changing U-Joints... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Changing U-Joints...

After replacing some of the u-joints in my Sami's, I've been wanting a hydraulic press to speed the remove/replace along. Found a small 6 ton unit for $59.95 from Northern Tool. While surfing the web, I came across a company (U-Joint Tool Co. www.ujointtool.com) that manufactures a tool specifically for u-joint removal/replacement. It looks to be well made and portable as is not the case with the press. However, for this luxory, there is a price to be paid. A heft $299! That is a lot of wood! I also found a write up on it in Four Wheeler (January 2001).
I was wondering what folks have found to be the easiest method of changing them out. When I replaced mine, I coated the bearing cap/yoke surfaces with anti-sieze compound to help facillitate removal in the future.
FYI... I used Napeaco u-joints as they are the only ones locally availabe that are greaseable. I purchased them at PEP Boys and, get this....they are guaranteed for life. Not too shabby, but that does little good if it grenades in the boonies. Just thought I would share this and hope it might help someone out.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 08:12 AM

Re: Changing U-Joints...

Another source for a portable tool - nice to have with you in the middle of nowhere - is http://www.tigertool.com
$210 is still hefty, but like you said, portable! Haven't tried it, but its on my xmas list.

jw

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used one of those ujoint tools one time and they are slick. Too much for me though. I just keep a hammer and sockets on hand for ujoint changing.

On a side note, those Neapco ujoints you are using are the worst I've ever used. I've changed a good 40-50 ujoints on mine and other rigs over the years and those Neapco ones seem to hold up the least. If you can find GMB locally, that's what I'd recommend going with.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

something that I tried after two days of beating was to put the joint in a vise using the usual socket method. only after you put a signifacant amount of pressure on the joint and socket take a hammer and punch and rap the casing back from the bearing this will equalize the bind on the old bearing and pop it loose dont beat on it and bend the drive shaft , just tap it to equalize the pressure they bind at the narrowest point. hope this makes sense

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Humm I'd check that Tiger site it seems that you can get the puller alone and installer later if you want. That would be nice. $135/95 at a time for something you want ant too bad...but I have my priorites! Say anyone out there hav e a baby rocklobster case? AKA a transfer case from a 84/85 suzuki? I need one.
Thanks,
R

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2000, 02:32 PM
mike shannon

i have used every type of press i can get my hands on and i have not found one to be better than a vise on a zuk. i have had a bad problem with the presses flexing the u joint cradel and bending it a little. what i have resorted to is to put the u joint in about 3/4 of the way in a vise or arbor press and sending it home with a hammer. the seem to stay loser, i have had many get to tight when i press them all the way in. i have also built spacers to fit and support the cradel when pressing out stubborn ones. because you can watch them flex when you have one in the press. just my two cents mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 12:35 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree. I have seen many a yoke bent with a press, too much pressure and not enough "feel". I use a socket as well, and a BFH. You can also get those U-joint removal kits locally for about $125, look around, I know VIP and Brake Service up here carry them. They'll also do Ball Joints, if you have a vehicle or axle that uses them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 12:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

glen,do you have a part # for those u-joints.i too installed some auto zone u-joints,and they lasted 30 mins at the BADLANDS,IN.

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2000, 10:30 PM
Old Hand

30 minutes!! you must have gotten a good one Rick My first auto-zone ujoint broke in half the first 5 minutes I was locked in. I haven't had any problems with the other three. There're running on three months now.

Low-riders are for little boys who can't get it up!! hehehe
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 12:05 AM

I guess the real question is, from all your experience have you come to terms that this is the best u joint for the almighty dollar? Can they be ordered from pep boys or something like napa? Thanks for the reply, we all want to know this one. I am tired of u joints being a weak link. Does spicer make one for sammis? Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode