Lube - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Lube

Since it has gotten cold here in Northern California, I have notice that my Samurai is sluggish to roll and shift in the mornings. I have had good luck with synthetic gear lube and crankcase oil when I lived in South Dakota (Ams Oil) and Maine (Mobile 1) and was wondering what others would recommend for gear lube in the transmission, t-case, and differentials. I currently run Mobile 1 in the Samurai crankcase.

In 1977 I had a Toyota FJ40 (purchased brand new from a dealer for the going rate $4600, with all options, ie. radio and Warn lockout hubs!) that would not shift when it was 20-30 below zero until it was warmed up and driven a couple of miles (the bias ply tires went out of round overnight too). Ams Oil gear lube corrected that.

Also, other than having someone else do the work, what is the best way to change the lube in the tranny, t-case and differntials. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 11:56 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Lube

Jeep, Chevy, Mazda, and a few other manufacturers used ATF in place of the gear oil for the colder climates. I run into it all the time up here. Even my friends SM465/NP241 setup in his HD K20 used ATF (in both) from the factory. Jeep also used ATF in the early 80's to improve upon gas mileage with the smaller motors. Heck, even the wife's '97 TJ has ATF in the transfer case. It won't hurt anything, and will flow much better. A word of caution though, if the tranny has a lot of miles on it, it may leak as the ATF is lighter in weight and thinner so it'll find leaks easier. I drain the gear oil or ATF, depending on which way I'm switching, and fill it with whatever I'm switching to, then run it for a hundred miles. Then I drain that out and typically go to synthetic, I like Mobil 1.

I typically prefer gear oil, and since changing out the manual tranny fluid from ATF to gear oil on my Mazda 323 (at 190K on the tranny), it has run smooth for the last 30K, even through the winter.

I only run gear oil in the diffs though, just not willing to experiment with them, and to my knowledge, no one ever put ATF in the diffs, although not sure of why.

To change stuff out, if it has a drain plug, I use it. If not, I like my suction gun, just route it through the fill plug and vac everything out. The suction guns are about $7 almost everywhere.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Stick with recommended gear oil. 80-90w in winter I think suzuki says 75w. often just changing to fresh oil will help.
I wouldn't recommned ATF in a zuke anything. they are not made for it. (I have synthetic in my t-case and have no problems.)

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I don't think I will have any problems getting the old lube out. I believe the Samurai has drain plugs on everything. What I am concerned about is how to get the new lube in. It has been my experience that there is not enough room to tip the bottle over to fill anything. What have others used to fill? Thanks,

-Farther
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

I used a one quart gear oil bottle and attached some hose and just squeezed it up into the fill hole. Problem is you will get tremendous forearm pump doing it this way and you can only get about half a bottle in before you have to refill it.

If you take the shifter boot off you might be able to reach the fill plug from above. It would be a lot easier filling the tranny from above using the same type hose and bottle I used with gravity on your side. You could also use a funnel and hose too.

Has anyone else tried it from above like this?

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

By all means use synthetic I use the recommend weight in synthetic. It makes a night and day diffrence. I live in ND and I use it all year round. and -40 below with normal gear lube it was a chore to get it moveing without killing the motor. I use it in all locations, Transmission, T-case, diffs, and motor. I changed to it 3 years ago since i was have issues when it was cold. All I can say is I'm never going back.

LOCO

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey Loco: I grew up 14 miles south of the ND border on the Sisseton Lakota Reservation. COLD up there!!

-Farther
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 03:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Farther,
I'm using Amsoil in the motor, 75-90 in the trany and t-case as well as the axles. I even rebuilt the front end and used Amsoil's synthetic grease. Best stuff since sliced bread. I change my diff lube every 80K and it looks like the day I put it in. I won't ever use petroleum products again. Just my opinion.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just get a small 4' hose and a small funnel hook together, open engine compartment, run hose down to fill plug insert into open hole have someone on top pour slowly and it goes in and works wonderfully for fill transmission and differentials. Keep on zuking Frank K.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farther You said it! Cold It Is! Amazing what you get used to up here. I have lived in Bismarck for pretty much all my life. Just wish there were more people with Samurai's in my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode