My Heater Sucks!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 08:48 AM
pugrocker

My Heater Sucks!!!

I know that this was posted before but my heat sucks. I know that I have to clean out the leaves and crap that is clogging the heat box, but is there a way to do it without drilling a hole in the side and vacuuming out (recommend to me by Crowhorse) or without removing the dashboard. It is getting cold here in NY and my softtop doesn't do much to help the lack of heat being generated by my zuk.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.....

Thanks,

pug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 10:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: My Heater Sucks!!!

At leat you have some kind of heat, My heater sending unit went out on me a few months back and I've been too lazy to put the new one in!

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 10:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

You could try a higher temperature thermostat. If you are running a 180 degree, try a 195. That is not the best fix, but it will offer you a little more heat. Just be mindful of your temperature gauge and make sure you are not running too hot. I find a 195 causes my Samurai to run too hot during the summer. One thing you should consider for winter is finding any holes in your body (I have two on the passenger side firewall that were used for the AC lines) and pluging them up. You could try either rubber plugs that you can find at a hardware store, or use aluminum tape. Anywhere you can prevent cold air from coming inside your Samurai is going to help. Check the condition of your door seals and make sure the plastic barrier is under your door panels. That sheet of plastic is there not only to keep moisture from ruining you door panels, but also prevents drafts. Make sure the top is fastened properly and especially in the back near the spare tire. You could also try adding some foam weather stripping under where your top seals against the body between each snap. This would make a better seal because I would guess that is where you would loose a lot of heat. Last thing I would do besides cleaning the heater core is checking out the condition of your coolant and possibly flushing it if needed. My heating system works really good if you are sitting in the front seat, however my kids when sitting in the back always complain that it is a little chilly. This is probably due to drafts comming in from where the top is not sealing good.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 11:36 AM
Can't Get Enough

I bought a ZUk that had the air ducts completely clogged with leaves, mud, and debris. I took out the front carpet, pulled the floor plugs out on the passenger side, set the vent setting to outside air, and forced HIGH pressure water through the hood vent and flushed all the debri out. It will get everything soaked and messy, but it'll dry out eventually. I haven't had any airflow problems since.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 12:11 PM
pugrocker

Brown29:

That sounds a little to "violent" to me. I was hoping that I could just access the heater box in a simple and clean manner......thanks anyway.

pug

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pugrocker,

Take the center console off that will expose the squirrel cage of your blower. Turn on the key and blower. Use air blower attached to a compressor and blow the leaves out with that. You may have to blow down through the outside vent a few times too. Make sure the fresh air door is open when you do that. If you keep working with it they will all come out. I had the same problem with mine went I first got it. 3 months afterwards a leave would still break lose and come out but they finally all work lose. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

bucwheat
88 1/2 Zuk
4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s
2 inch over Shackles
1 inch body lift
Full Camo
Coyotes beware
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

I had leaves in my ducts too when I first got my Samurai. I was able to turn my fan on high and cycle the heater/defroster controls back and forth to break them up and send them out the ducts.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in the same boat. My heater worked great now it is just enough to keep the windows clear. when its below 0 here in ND I get a little cold. I'm just byteing the bullet and tearing it all apart at least that way I no it is clean and does't clog up again in a month. At the same time I am placeing some sort of screen in the intake to keep it from happening again.

LOCO

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

Pugrocker:

I forgot to mention that while I did all that one of my brothers was beating the crap out of an elderly widow and the other one was playing the banjo. We don't mess around down here.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 02:12 PM
pugrocker

Brown29,

Now thats some funny sh*t........LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode