1.6 Exhaust valves in a 1.3 head? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

1.6 Exhaust valves in a 1.3 head?

I'm rebuilding my 1.3 engine. The crankshaft is toast (on the hunt for that) but, the rest of the engine seems ok so far. I do need to replace the exhaust valves as they are badly wore and pitted. Can I re-grind the 1.3 head to accept the 1.6 exhaust valves and do I need to replace the guides? What about springs and such? What about the seats? Do you have to rework the port? I know, so many questions!

Also, has anyone used the High Compression pistons in a 1.3? Do you have to run Hi Grade fuel?

BTW, I've attached a Pic of two exhaust valves and one of the intakes.

http://www.zekes.com/~sjames/Valves.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1.6 Exhaust valves in a 1.3 head?

I have put 1.6 intake and exhaust valves in a 1.3 head before. Stock 1.3 springs. While you're at it a porting job is VERY useful. I feel porting a Zuk head is one of the better things you can do to tweak your power.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 10:08 AM
JKing

Sounds like a good idea.

So..... how much work is actually involved in putting in the valves?
Can it be done in a couple of hours and any other parts needed to complete the project?
Do you put in both the intake and exhaust valve or just the exhaust valve?
How about milling the head down a wee bit to get more compression at the same time since the head is apart?

Thanks.

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (SJ413 Jimny in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires,Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Gabriel Gas Ryder Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2000, 07:33 PM
zukiman

I have the 1600 exhaust valves in my Samurai head, using the 1600 valve hardware and 1300 valve springs. Whereas my old stock head would start to feel breathing restricted beyond 7000rpm, this new one works beautifully up to and beyond 8500rpm. It just doesn't run out of power at high rpms, it just keeps pulling harder and harder the higher the revs climb. I didn't have it ported though....it was cost prohibitive.

My head is milled down 20 thousandths, bringing my engine's compression up from 10.5:1 (GTi pistons) to close to 11:1. It runs fine on 89 octane in cooler temperatures, but in hot weather it can ping. But whenever the engine's hot (like when I come off the freeway) and I shut off the ignition, it'll diesel. So I run 92 octane and it cures that problem.

Asian Auto Parts sells tons of Samurai heads with the 1600's exhaust valves installed. You might consider calling them for details, or just buy a whole new fully tweaked head from them. http://www.AsianAutoPartsOfAZ.com

--Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: http://www.Off-Road.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode