Engine Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Engine Rebuild

I'm tearing apart my engine for a complete rebuild. I have a couple general questions...
first off, is there anything I need to watch out for when taking it apart or putting it back together? (it's completely stock)
secondly, when I rebuild it I want it to have some more power. My plan is to bore it 20 over and add high compression pistons, does anyone have any other ideas? I do need to keep it smog legal, because it's my daily driver and I live in California.
Thanks for the help,
Steve

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 07:37 PM

Re: Engine Rebuild

You might want to take a look at the 1.3 head with the larger 1.6 exhaust valves that Dave at Asian Auto Parts of AZ has on his web site. With C.A.R.B. legal Doug Thorley headers and 2" cat and exhaust, that would be a sweet set up.

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 07:48 PM

I had to buy new head bolts when I went back together with my 1.3, the originals would not retorque. They are designed to stretch as I later found out. I had to order through the dealer which caused a small delay in putting it back together. I went ahead and got new main bearing cap bolts too, as they "felt" funny when torqueing them down. Might be worth considering.
good luck

87 Samurai- under construction
92 Samurai

Zookin- a family affair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 11:05 PM
zukiman

A cam will likely make it more difficult for you to pass CA smog inspections. Fitting the larger exhaust valves from an 8-valve 1600 makes a big difference in power, especially when complimented with a Thorley header (the only CARB-approved header) and a good 2-inch exhaust. Raising the compression with pistons and milling down the head will also hurt emissions but will make for a lot more power.

Also, when reinstalling the head, make sure you get the head gasket aligned the right way or you'll toast your head. The gasket is symmetrical except for a hole that must align over the oil galley. Too many heads have been ruined due to backwards head gaskets.

Best of luck to you!

--Geoff Beasley

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't planning on milling the head, in fact I want to do as little machining as possible. that is why I'm only going 20 over on the block. what do I have to do to the head to get the 1.6 valves to work? how bad will high comp pistons effect emissions, will it pass smog? I was already planning on 2" exhaust and the doug thorley headers, probably a dynomax honeycomb cat and I was thinking about the Hardcore muffler. I don't wanna race this thing or anything, in fact the slower the better on the pocket book (heavy foot). I just want some power so I'm not draggin' a$$ trying to get up the mountain or grapevine. Thanks for all the help!!!

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Zukiman , that 1.6 ex valve sounds like the hot ticket.
Header,free flow exhaust & higher compression each usually increase mpg along w/power.
How about the larger valve - power & mpg ? Any research into that ?
Anybody tried Just the ex valve w/valve job ?

That's all from this corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode