Carrier front to back swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carrier front to back swap

1988 Samurai

Can you switch the front and rear carriers on the Sami's. A friend of mine has a spare front and I need a back.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Carrier front to back swap

yep you can but you will need to swap side gears as the front and rear axles are different diameters. Other than that its simple

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes you sure can.A front carrier usually has very little wear also.and of course,change the axle end gears.keep in mind that a 88.5 and newer front carrier has a single pin and 2 spider gears and cannot be used with a lockrite type locker,if your getting a 88 or older with 4 spider gears from the front you can then use a locker if you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O.K. Things are looking good. The carrier would be coming off of an 87 Samurai. Does this cause any additional issues? How do I change the axle end gears assuming that I have both carriers out and ready to be worked on? How can I check if a carrier is good or bad?
Your Opinion...
I am thinking of replacing the carrier because I am getting a noise from the back end. I have since ripped everything apart and replaced both pinion bearings and the pinion seal. The noise is less than it was before but still is there (very discouraging after all that work). The thing is it is not constant. Only once in every gear from approx 3000 to 3500. The sond is if there was dirty oil in the dif, or something vibrating excessively.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode