4.16 Gears and 30's Geared Too Low???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 01:13 PM
pugrocker

4.16 Gears and 30\'s Geared Too Low????

I have 4.16 transfer case gears and 30" tires, and since I installed the gears my mpgs have dropped to about 11 mpgs if I am lucky and I turn 3,000 rpms at 50 mph in 5th gear. I have 30 x 9.5 Goodyear MTRs and I think that it might be geared too low for a daily driver (and it is eating gas because it is running at such high rpms.) Any feedback or similar experiences would be appreciated......

pug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4.16 Gears and 30\'s Geared Too Low????

If it were me...duhh...bigger tires!
Just my 2 cents worth.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 04:51 PM
Jonathan

I am running 30" tires with the 4.16 gearset also. The gearing is indeed on the low side, especially if your running a 1600 as in my case. I have thought about swapping in a higher fifth gear (.795) to replace the 88.5-later (.865) that I currently have. This would bring down the rpms about 500 in fifth. However, I do like not having to downshift to pass or to go up a hill. It can cruise in fifth all day without any problems.

I have also noticed (by pace car and police radar) that my speedometer is off (slow) by 10%. It doesn't make any sense to me, it should be right on with 30" tires but it isn't. (Gearing with 4.16 & 30" tires = stock gearing in high) FYI, with a mildly modified 1600 engine, I get 20-24 mpg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock tyres + stock gearing = approx.3400rpm @ 100kmh (60mph?). The Suzuki engines love to rev! I have 235's (29") tyres and stock gearing with 1600 engine. I've cruised for 20 hours straight (minus fuel stops) at 4100rpm with no overheating or other engine problems. The reason you're probably getting poor fuel economy is larger tyres. When i installed the 1600 i could still get 1300 mileage (30-35 mpg), but as soon as i added larger tyres it dropped significantly (around 18 mpg). Larger tyres will always suck fuel, but i reckon if you were running the 30's with stock gearing fuel economy would be worse!

Don't despair! That low range reduction is worth it IMHO!

Cheers,

Jasen

Check out our Suzuki 4WD site in Australia.
! AusZook ! - Australian Suzuki Off-roaders!
http://www.auszook.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of mileage were you getting before the swap? I have 4.16's with 225's (28") and my mileage was terrible but my timing belt was stretched so bad the cam was one full tooth retarded. I'll be taking a fuel reading tomorrow and I'll let you know. My next addition will be a Thorley header and 2" exhaust. Hope to gain mileage and performance here. Check ignition timeing. The more advance you can run without pinging, the better performance/fuel economy you'll get.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 05:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't be fooled by the speedo, it get's really wacked by the tires.

I have 4.16 and 31's. It's great off-road but a little to high for the highway. 4.16's on 30's should be close to stock power wise.

So you know, with my 31's and the 4.16 gears, at 42 MPH I'm doing 59! Found that out when my buddy was yelling at me for doing 60 in a 40, but I thought I was doing the speed limit.

I'm going with 33"s shortly and will be swapping my R&P's. 4.16 with 5.12's with 33"s is a little too much for the L.I.E. I will be going with the 4.62's and I should be fine.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:50 AM
pugrocker

Thanks for all of the help, but I still can not figure out why I am only getting about 118-122 miles per tank fill up. I know that I will never have a lot of top end, but it seems as if I am geared too low for the highway. I run a 1.6L 8 valve and it feels like it is screaming over 50mph.....no power at the top end - just burning gas. Low end (up to about 40mph) it pulls great. My engine is running perfect (finally), but why am I getting such poor mpgs?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 01:45 PM

According to my calculations, the 4.16 T-case and 30" tires brings the effective final drive to very near the stock setup. Your speedo would be off by about 12%. So add 12% to your speed and mph. Do you have stock rings & pinions?

-Farther
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 02:32 PM
pugrocker

Farther,

I do have stock ring and pinions, but the tires are not actually 30" - I think that they are 29.2" or something close to that......not only that, but if it was off by 12% mpgs and mph - then I am still getting pretty bad mileage.

How do you calculate the mph and mpgs correction?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 04:55 PM
Jonathan

About the speedo, it runs off the rear output shaft in the t-case. It should be dead on with 30" tires/4.16 gears because the 4.16 gears bring the gearing back to stock in high range. However, this is not the case, the speedo is slow. Can someone please explain why the speedo is off?

The rig I mentioned in a earlier post has a 1600cc, weber, DT header, 1300cc head, and a ISKY dual purpose camshaft. It has lots of power throughout the rpm range and winds up to 5500 rpm with plently of power still on tap.

I've got another rig back in the states that has a 1600cc, weber, DT header, and ISKY "torquer" cam. It's a completely different beast. It pulls *very* strong until about 4000 rpm then it seems to run out of steam. Since the main difference between the two engines is the camshaft, I believe that the cam is the "no top end" factor. I have also talked with others that have expressed the same opinion about that particular ISKY cam. Maybe that is what you're experiencing?

Also, both rigs get low-mid 20s mpg. With the 1600cc, torquer cam getting a little more than the 1600cc, dual purpose. Maybe, your carb is jetted too rich? I run 125-130 primary, 155-170 secondary in mine.

I also once experienced a very odd/hard to diagnose problem. A couple of needle bearings froze up in the tranny because it sat too long without oil in it (2 years). There were no obvious noises when driving but the "cold tranny, neutral, crawl" was much more pronounced and it crawled even when it was 70 degrees outside. The rig got horrible gas mileage and had no highway power what so ever. I replaced nearly everything in the drivetrain (including the original 1300, t-case, rear end) before I finally narrowed it down to the transmission. (I had replaced every other component and tested them in another Sam!) I hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode