Vibration & Shake ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Vibration & Shake ??

If the brake problems weren't enough, my 87 has now developed a low speed shake/vibration, only rearing it's ugly head at app. 5 mph. At high speeds there is no vibration. It seems like the transmission is shaking but I'm not sure as of yet if it is the culprit as it was rebuilt several months ago. I also have new motor mounts. A cursory inspection of the u-joints proved fruitless ( I was hoping it was one). Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm not sure where to even look at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....... Thanks

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vibration & Shake ??

Just guessing.If the tranny mount has ever been oil soaked ,from a leaky real seal , it can sure soften them up.Check tcase mounts.
U joints can feel tight mounted , but be fairly sloppy off the truck.Check tranny to motor bolts.
CrowHoss , if you get all your problems cured , & that little basturd gives you ANY more trouble, please smack it w/a BFH for me !

That's all from this corner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The rear mount is dry - no oil. I will check the tranny mounting bolts tomorrow and maybe swap in a another intermediate shaft to try to narrow it down. I'm so thankful that I have another zook for wheels.

BFH...I've used it already.

At least I now have new motor mounts (HD Hawk mounts). Pretty soon I'll have replaced everything on it.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 05:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had a low speed squeek and vibration, turned out it was the driveshaft from the trans to tcase. One of the u-joints
froze. It then chewed up the trans mount... Just push up on the trans that will tell you if the mount is good.
I will try this moening to get the @#$% seatbelts off again. about ready to take the torch to it and send you part of the floor too....

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glenn,
No rush. I have my hands full with all sorts of anomolies in my 87.
I've discovered the culprit! A frozen u-joint on the intermediate shaft was causing all the mayhem. It was a good lesson in that you really can't accurately check u-joints unless they are off the truck. I change to my spare driveshaft and the vibration is gone. I'll put new u-joints in the one that came out and swap them again. Any suggestions on u-joint brand? I've used the ones from PEP Boys with success, but I've started to check them before leaving the store and they must have had a bad run of them. The bearing cups didn't spin smoothly, like it might have been contaminated with foriegn particles. Ones that didn't have this worked well....so far.
Thanks for all the help!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crowhorse , I've had good luck w/ the $7 pep joints.........til now . Just today I discovered 1 w/only 12k on it (Toy) , had some play.
Don't know about LI but in Burque there's a driveline shop that sells Spicers for $23 w/ free install.
That's what I'm doing from now on.

That's all from this corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode