bolt-on soa - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

bolt-on soa

I want one for christmas! It won't see any extreme Off-road situations other than some GA red clay, no really bad rocks other than occasional trips to Tellico which I don't want body damage from. I have heard that the spring pads will spin, is this only under crazy flex or in normal mild to medium OR'ing?
I want to go SOA really bad since this is no longer my sole means of transportation, but I want to be able to switch it from one Zuk to another in case I get a FI newer model. I already have 1.5" Ranchos and con-fer 1/2 "'ers.
I know you're out there Glen tell me the truth and not sales pitch. I bought my ranchos from you so give me an honest answer if you want to respond.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 10:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: bolt-on soa

Forget the bolt on crud. I think you would be far better off doing it the right way(read normal). If your NOT HARD CORE, you can get away with a spring over under $130 in parts. I don't think it would be much to have a welder do the spring perches. As for going to a newer Samurai.....Just put the axles under the new one....all you would have to do is switch the drive shaft flanges. or mix and match drive shafts. If you need any help feel free to e-mail me.
Bill-
P.S. Sorry Glenn

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill, My neighnor is a welder I just liked the fact it was bolt-on. oh well I guess when u got 2 weld u got 2 weld. thanx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 07:02 AM

doberman,

in my experience there is NO such thing as "no hard-core wheeling" ... Imagine that for whatever reason something doesent work out as planned (e.g. a line you picked, etc...)

within a second you are into "hard-core wheeling" ... even if you never planned it...

and in this very case you could under extreme circumstances wheel for your life (remember the post on the poor soul that died somewhere in montana(?) this year, )

its about safety... (can't comment on the safety-aspects of the bolt-on kit, tho... as i have never seen it...)

just think of it from this perspective and see if you can go the full 9 yds.

there are things i would not compromize

just my opinion... could be wrong... have been wrong before

bye
alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 12:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think there is a line between Wheeling and HARD CORE wheeling, Of coarse every body should make there Samurai's as safe as can be.....But you do have the option to continue on the trail....

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 01:54 PM
Addict

Get the bolt-on and have your neighbor put a few spot welds on there for you that can be ground off when you need to swap to the new sammi.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 02:00 PM

Bill,

i am not 100% with you.... my point was you can go from "leisurly wheeling" to "extreme-life-threathening wheeling" in a split second, without wanting it!

but then again... who says that we all have to share the same opinions ;o)

take care

Alfred

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The spring pads can't spin, they're locked and held in place with ubolts. Plus they 'key' into the existing spring pads on the bottom. The only way a pad could spin is if you broke a ubolt and the 2nd was unscrewed 1/2" or so.

Some guys do convert our bolton to a weldon. Very easy to do. Unnecessary though. probably about 1/2 the folks that get the bolton kit do so because they might have to remove it at some point for inspections or cop lift height problems, the other half just don't have access to a welder.

They've been out in the field for a couple years now without any problems though. Feel free to email back if you have further questions [email protected]

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 03:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

My point is there IS a difference in Hard core and life threating, and when your talking about life threating.. standard SPOA or bolt on is not going to make a differance. I thought I'd save the guy some cash.
Driving down the freeway at 60?.......I'd trust a good weld over a bolt anyway...but thats me;-)

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode