'91 ECM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

\'91 ECM

A friend of mine has a '91 Samurai that won't run. The motor will turn over but it won't crank. He did the test with the fuse and the code read 12 and one time it read 14(what's that?? It may have been 41 and I know that's bad news) I know 12 means everything is OK. He's done all of the basics like timing, checked fuel pump,rotor and disty cap. I'm going to put my '92 ECM in it tomorrow but I'm thinking it may be something else. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 01:44 AM
Addict

Re: \'91 ECM

first thing to do would be to check for spark. you can pull the plug wire from the distributor that is coming from the coil and hold it by a ground, have someone crank the motor and check for spark. you can also check by pulling a spark plug, put it back in the plug wire and hold it near a ground...

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 04:50 PM

Throw away the ECM, get an early model dist. and carb it. Problem solved.

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2000, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Shawn--- I think your idea is a good. Today we took the ECM out of my friends Zuk and put it in my '92. I had to crank it a couple of times but it did run. After about 5 minutes it cut off, cranked it back up and drove it around for awhile. It ran fine the whole time. We put the ECM back in his Zuk and it cranked up and ran for the first time. After a couple of minutes it cut off and wouldn't start back. We put the ECM back in mine and it ran fine. Then we put the ECM back in his Zuk and it ran perfect. I can't quite figure this one out. He's thinking of switching to a carb. How involved is the swap? Also the Zuk is 2wd and he is looking for the parts to make it 4wd, so if anyone has the parts or a whole vehicle cheap please let me know.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 08:55 AM

I bought a thrashed out 4wd 88.5 because I had a really good condition 92 2wd. You'll need both if you want to do the swap using the stock carb. I spliced the eng/ECM wiring from the 88.5 to the 92 wiring harn. I also used the 88.5 instrument cluster. I modified the carb after doing the whole swap to run off only a single power wire(I was tired of having my computer tell my carb what to do) I then pulled the 88.5 part for the ECM out of the harness, with all of the sensors, and put it all into a small metal box that I can put in and take out with the stock(ECM driven)carb. If I ever have to pass an emissions test, it will be very simple to put the box and the carb in. As far as the 4wd, I just got around to doing that and it took me about six hours. The only real problem I had was the rear driveshaft. The yoke bolts on the 2wd were 14mm and the 88.5 were 12mm. I just slid the front yoke of the driveshaft off, lined up the 12mm front yoke from the 88.5, and slid that one on. If you want any wiring diagrams(modified) e-mail me. I have a bunch of notes and head scratching doodles, but I can compile them into something you can read (they are written in
confused-ese right now). Now I have a one wire dist. and a one wire carb. I want reliability, not high tech. I four-wheel alone, so I don't want to have to walk back from nowhere and leave my zuk to the vultures. I was four-wheeling in 2wd before now, now that I'm 4wd, I can be a little more zealous now! Also, I almost forgot, the fuel tank needs to to be swapped along with the int. man. and you'll have to use and electric fuel pump with regulator. This is why I say buy a parts zuk, it will also give you many spares.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 03:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm not trying to start anything, but if the ECM is the only problem I definitely wouldn't recommend switching to a stock carb and harness... you are even more likely to have ECM/sensor problems with that setup and poor performance as well. The fuel injection, when working properly performs better (more efficiently and consistently) than either the stock carb or a Weber, in my opinion. I have one of each. The stock carb is a little sluggish, but reliable, if you don't have any problems with the sensors or ECM. If and when you start having fuel mixture problems with the stock carb though, they will run fine one trip and will stumble and/or backfire continuously the next. The Weber will accellerate better, but less efficiently (uses more fuel) and they seem better suited to on the road than off road driving. The TBI fuel injection will not pin your head to the headrest when accelerating, but is relatively responsive throughout the rpm range, gets better gas mileage, better top end speed, and runs well at any angle. I realize that they too can be susceptible to having ignitor and ECM problems, but if it runs fine by swapping the ECM from another vehicle, I would check into having the ECM rebuilt or locating a used one. If you're having a lot of other problems related to the EFI I would consider converting to something other than the stock carb.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 06:25 PM

I said MODIFIED stock carb and use the stock(ECM driven) only for sniff test. The MODIFIED carb IS very reliable, pulls it's balls off, and doesn't hurt fuel economy but a few MPG. Maybe MODIFIED is a wrong word, how about RE-ENGINEERED?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 07:23 PM

88.5 sammy
I run a fuel injected 1.3 stock engine sammy and really shine on steep inclines where others with carb's sputter & give up. This zook never skips a beat at any angle ... and has never let me down...If you're off-roading I would definitley suggest sticking with the Fuel Injection set-up.. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not reliable... Buy a Peterson's manual and read up on how it works or I would suggest spending the money to get it fixed professionally and saving the aggrivation and expense of changing over to carb and destroying the integrity of your zook.
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

rodnee--The Zuk isn't mine, it belongs to a friend. I'm just trying to help him get it running. Since I have a '92 we tried swapping the ECM's to see if that was the problem. Well I think we have narrowed it down to the MAP sensor, I'm not sure if that is the exact name that the FSM uses or not. Anyway it's running now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode