Off Topic - Dumb @ss of the year award! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Off Topic - Dumb @ss of the year award!

I know this is off topic and has nothing to do with Suzukis, but this happened in my home town and I thought I would share it with you all. We all do stupid thing in our life, but this has to beat just about every one of mine hands down.

This picture is real - not doctored in anyway - and was taken last week in Waldorf Maryland by a Transportation Supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber. When he saw it in the parking lot of IHOP, he ran over to the 7-Eleven and bought a camera to take pictures.

The car is still running as can be witnessed by the exhaust. A woman is either asleep or otherwise out cold in the front seat passenger side. The man driving it was over jogging up and down on Rt. 925 in the background. The witnesses said their physical state was 'other' than normal and the police just shook their heads in amazement. The driver finally came back after the police were there and was getting down at the back to cut the 'twine around the load. They told him to get back until it was taken off.

The materials were loaded at Home Depot. Their store manager said they had the customer sign a waiver!

Both back tires are trashed. The back shocks were driven up through the floorboard. In the back seat were 10 bags, 80 lbs. each of concrete. On the roof are many 2X4s, 4X4s and sheets of OSB. They estimated the load weight at 3000 lbs. The car is a VW Jetta with Florida plates and the man said he was headed for Annapolis Maryland which is over 40 minutes away!

JUST UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

UPDATE: I spoke with the man who took the picture and he said they put the same load together at 84 Lumber and the load weighed, are you ready?... 3800 lbs! With the weigh of the passenger and driver they had over 2 tons on that car! Almost the weight of two Samurais sitting on top of that car!
Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-263435-WaldorfJetta.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:09 PM
Old Hand

Re: Off Topic - Dumb @ss of the year award!

I bet he voted for Bush,,,I mean Gore, I mean Bush, no Gore, no, Bush,,or was it Micky Mouse?

What a dip! Home Depot shouldn't have let him out of the Parking Lot either! All those Lawyers in Florida,,,oh Boy,,,I smell a Law Suit.

Just kidding!

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Take a long, hard look my friends.

This is what a hair-brained idea to build a "greenhouse" coupled with a big bag of hydroponic marihuana will get you.

Now wonder she's passed out while he's jogging.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

This happened in Maryland and I cannot believe that Home Depot loaded it for him - waiver or not! I am surprised they were not crushed to death by the weight. That is around 2000lbs on the roof of a Jetta! Think about that, a Samurai weighs around that much! I would guess the Jetta weighs only around 2600lbs. Just the concrete in the back plus the weight of themselves was over 1/2 a ton!

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:33 PM
pugrocker

That is one of the dumbest things that I have ever seen......(funny as well too). I wonder if his insurance will cover the damage.......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah , but the guy is an ACE with baling twine !
Now if some one would just tell him what/what not to do .
Maybe he should go visit his friendly local recruiter .

That's all from this corner
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Maybe he should go visit his friendly local recruiter?? What's scary is that I think he is in the military! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] He has Florida tags on his car and he is here in Southern Maryland. We have quite a few military bases around here and would assume he is not here visiting Washington DC because who in their right mind buys building supplies while on vacation.

Tim Martin
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 10:21 PM
Old Hand

Yeah you guys are right, what an idiot. Everyone knows the windshild wipers can only anchor 1 ton, not 2 ton. Geez what a fool. But seriously, that is the most lack of thinking I have seen in a long time.

Low-riders are for little boys who can't get it up!! hehehe
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I have found out some more on these idiots. Apparently this was not the first trip they made. They bought nearly the same materials the previous day and had already made the trip. What I can't figure out is why he came all the way down here. There is another Home Depot just outside of Anapolis! Home Depot will actually deliver your large purchases to your driveway for $25 extra.

The guy who took the pictures has more. The picture of the passenger side of the car shows the front passenger tire 4" off the ground! What was this guy trying to do? Increase his RTI score? When the load was removed the back roof was colapsed, the rear and side window shattered, the rear struts are through the floor, and when the guy opened the driver's door he could not get it shut again! Here this car is collapsing and the lady inside is out cold. When the police came they had a hard time arousing her.

Tim Martin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2000, 07:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Zoomy IS there a picture of the passenger side?
I have never seen a Jetta pull a wheelie before. And I thought some of the things I do are dumb... I now feel like Issac Newton, or Albert Einstien (sp).

Turn it till it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode