Synthetic oils - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Synthetic oils

Will synthetic oils prolong the life of an engine? Its awfully expensive. I have 87k on my 16v and it uses a quart of 5w-30 about every 2500 miles. Is it possible to get 200k out of Suzuki engines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Synthetic oils

Frank,
Here my experience with synthetic oils. A few years back my wife was driving our 85 S-10 Jimmy which I was running Mobil 1 synthentic oil in. At that time it had around 20K on it. She called me from a pay phone on a back road saying it had died and wouldn't restart. When I got there what I found was the intake gasket had let go and water had gotten in the oil. So much that from the heat of the engine the water had turned to steam and saturated the air clean element to the point no air could get to the carb. I figured the engine was gone so I tow it home and began tearing it down to replace the bears and such. The first thing I noticed was the oil and water didn't mix like with regular oil. After taking off the pan and exsamining the bearing I found they had not galled. To make a long story short I put it back together with a new intake gasket (other gaskets) and the ran the thing for a noter 60k mile before trading it off. Never had another problem. Lucky maybe but I believe it was the synthetic oil that saved the engine. I now run blended oil for those properties and to save on a few dollars. Don't really know if it will prolong a engines life but I beleive it will.

bucwheat
88 1/2 Zuk
4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s
2 inch over Shackles
1 inch body lift
Full Camo
Coyotes beware
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bucwheat say : Lucky maybe but I believe it was the synthetic oil that saved the engine

I'd agree ! Mobil 1 is 1 of the few brands of full syn that are still 100% synthetic . I use it in H-perf bike motors.

On the blended oil , how do you know your not paying double for .oo1% synthetic ? I can't find the ratio anywhere.

That's all from this corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do you know your not paying double for .oo1% synthetic ?

I don't but figure it like this // You don't know how good the insurance your paying for really is until you have that big wreck! The one I ain't had yet.

bucwheat
88 1/2 Zuk
4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s
2 inch over Shackles
1 inch body lift
Full Camo
Coyotes beware
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 11:54 PM
JKing

Hi!

IMHO, semi synthetic oil is good but fully synthetic oil is best. Cost is more but doi remember the interval between oil change is longer.

I was using mineral oil but changed to semi synthetic oil and found that the engine runs quiter and much smoother despite having same viscosity index. It is what you pay. pay more, get better oil.

It actually works out to be almost the same when it comes to cost. In 5,000 KM you change the mineral oil but you only change the semi or fully synthetic oil every 10,000 KM. Just remember to change the oil filter every 5,000KM even if you're using synthetic oil.

Since your engine is comsuming oil, why not put in a thicker oil like 20W50 rather than using the 5W30?

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (SJ413 Jimny in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires,Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Gabriel Gas Ryder Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 02:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Frank,
Synthetic Oils do prolong life because they offer more cold start protection, can withstand higher temperatures, lubricate better and do not build up a residu on engine parts (rocker arms, valve stems etc), I've seen engines run on mineral and semi synthetic oil and especially on the mineral oils you have a brown layer of oil on the higher engine parts (due to the lower high temperature resistance and then higher temperatures on the cylinder head).
This does not happen with fully synthetic oil , i have a 1997 samurai running on LPG (higher cyl /head temperatures) and everything looks like new after 93000km running on Mobil1 fully synthetic.
Be carefull however if you're consuming oil at the moment fully synthetic oil does not solve that problem, it will most likely increase also when you're changing from mineral to fillu synthetic oil it is possible that gaskets and crankshaft seals start leaking , this is because they may have hardened using the mineral oil and now are softening up and desintgrating.
I think you best continue running on mineral or semi synthetic oil and repair the cause for the oilconsumption when it increases

Samazuki,
'97 sami, 1' shackle, 215/75 R15

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 04:43 AM
JKing

check this out...

http://vger.rutgers.edu/~ravi/bike/p.../docs/oil.html

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (SJ413 Jimny in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires,Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Gabriel Gas Ryder Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I beleive synthetic oils are great and love them , but be careful to change your oil based on the use of the vehicle , if you offroad in dusty conditions you should change your oil more frequently every 3k miles, if your using it more for transportation every 5k to 10k on full synthetic. I change my samurai oil at 5k and my commuter car at 10 to15k good luck.

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys, I think I will try the synthetic oils to try to prolong the life of the engine. happy zooking.

Frank K.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode