another locker question????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

another locker question?????

ok so I'm a newbie at samis and lockers. I'm thinkin about puttin a locker in mine but am wondering just how its gonna affect my vehicle.... with such a short wheelbase is it gonna give me a fit on pavement as this is my daily driver (my only vehicle) and since we get snow here in the mtns. of N.C. how is it gonna affect my handling???? hope you guys (and gals) can set me straight also i have heard that you can never completely "unlock" a front locker that it will wear tires prematurely on pavement is that true???? thanks Dave

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 03:42 PM

Re: another locker question?????

Well I know people out there have a lot more experience then I, but no one's replied yet so i'll throw you the wisdum i got. I have a sammi that is locked front and rear, never driven it in the snow, wouldnt want to. If your going to lock it up, you can do your rear first then your front after winter. Yes it wears your tires out faster, but thats the life of a kick ass off road vehicle so just rotate them every 3-5k. I drive my audi's thru the winter and they all come with differential lock ups that automatically shut off after 15mph. theres a reason for that and I found out when one of my older audis had a manual f/r locker switch, I kept going sideways down a hill with ice and couldnt get it to straighten out until I unlocked it. Very un nerving to say the least. As for just learning to run lockers, no its not a huge change at all. I can hardly notice the new sammi that is locked front and rear on the road in the rain I might get a squeel on a tight turn, but its rare and it only makes me smile when it happens. This new sammi is Heidi's so I dont drive it much, but she loves it and has had no problems driving it like that either. Hope this inspires you. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:17 PM
Addict

Here are a few of the pleasant things that a locker brings... Most of these things are enhanced even more by big flexy suspensions and large tires.

When you get on the gas it pulls one way then pulls back the other way when you let off or shift. Do this on a freeway clover leaf, its fun

When you go around slow sharp corners you either want to be on the gas or off the gas. If you are in between you will start bucking like a bronco rider.

Being locked up in the snow and mud is fun as your rig will want to go straight rather then turn. Not as bad with only rear locker and you can always unlock one hub in front.

With the hubs onlocked your front wheels are independant and not affected by a front locker. The rear tires will wear faster but I had dunlop mud rovers on my Toyota that was locked and after 2 years they still looked almost new.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys appreciate the info and i forgot to say I'm still running stock suspention and 225 M/S tires thanks again

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 09:10 PM
zukiman

In 5 years of snow driving with my Samurai with lockers, I have never ONCE had a problem. The traction and control are infinitely better. I'm assuming that those who have had problems with lockers (or a welded diff, with which I also have plenty of experience) simply don't know how to control a vehicle very well. You wouldn't want to teach you 16-year-old how to drive for the first time in snow conditions with a locker and manual transmission, but anybody who actually knows how to drive rather than just steer shouldn't have any problems. The locker increases traction by 50% or more while in 2wd, depending on the difference in traction on the surfaces below the rear tires. Getting into a slide is harder (unless you drive with the throttle pedal as an on/off toggle switch) and getting back out of a slide is easier unless (as I said before) you don't know how to drive. The best thing to do is just go out into an empty parking lot and practice driving until you can do it by feel with your eyes closed.

--Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: http://www.Off-Road.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto to Geoff Beasley.The only thing I might add is some people think a limited slip is better in icy road application.I think they act just like a lockrite.Maybe Geoff will give an opinion on this.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2000, 01:36 AM
zukiman

I can't say that I've had experience driving a Samurai with a LSD in the snow. My close friend John Gehring has the LSD in the rear of his, and it works pretty well off-road and on the street. I would suspect that it too would be an awesome improvement over an open diff in the snow, just like with a locker or welded diff.

--Geoff Beasley

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2000, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any one know of a writeup on welding a suzuki diff...I don't realy want a locker since this is going to be stricly off road vehicle.

comment zukiman?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode