removing my doors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

removing my doors

Ok, I was trying to get the philips head bolt out of my door hinges and wow, what a pain in the ars. All my good philips bits are now twisted and broken. Does anyone have any suggestions. I live in So. Cal so there isn't a spot of rust on the vehicle, so that is not an issue. Also does anyone have a pic of what the hinges look like cut? I have a good idea of how to do it, but want to make sure I'm right.
thanks for the help,
Steve

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 01:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: removing my doors

Steve,
Most people grind the hinges off while still attached to the Sammi - because the phillips heads are soooo hard to get off. The factory uses lock-tight. If you want to remove them either: 1) Use an impact driver and hammer, or 2) heat up the head and bolt just enought to melt off the lock-tight, but not damage the paint. Good luck. Sorry, I don't have any close up pictures, but the process is really quite simple. Grind off the top part of the hing, then the pin that is sticking up above the door hing section. After you lift the door off, you can smooth the pin a bit on top.
-You'll love the results! Nothing better than being doorless and topless in a Suzuki, or is that in a topless Suzuki - either way it's nice.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 01:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys. looks easy enough, pretty what I was thinking.
thanks

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 07:23 AM

I am in the process of doing removing the doors also, getting ready for paint. And a few weeks ago, I saw on this board a suggestion of applying heat to the screws. Like a miracle, that's the secret. I borrowed a friends mini torch, and put the heat to the screws. I still had to use the impact driver, but got them out. Several other places on the Sami had screws that I couldn't remove either, and I just put the torch to them, and wahlah, out they came.
Bottom line is this, you gotta have one of these little torches if you're taking a Sami apart. Suzuki used some kind of Loctite on every screw in these things, and you need a little heat to break the bond.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 07:26 AM

I forgot to add another suggestion for the phillips head screws that are stripped. I had some that did that also, like many other people. Here's what I did on those that stripped out. Took my Dremel tool with cutting disc, and cut a straight notch across the screw and used a regular screwdriver to get them out.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 08:06 AM
Old Hand

Look under the 09/13/00 date post under "oldfartzuk" and see a whole series of photos i posted when I removed my doors. You can bring it up by clickig on my name "oldfartzuk" and click o show all posts then go to the 09/13/00 date.. All the suggestions work well, didn't think to heat the screws when I removed my hinges. Suggest you get stainless steel bolts when you replace your stripped out Zuk screws when you put your hinges back on.

oldfartzuk

Early 88 Zuk, Calmini headers, 2" Calmini reverse shackle lift, Calmini 2" Exhaust system, GRS-1, Kayline Full Doors,Steel Horse Seats, 30x9.5 Roadmaster/ATRoughneck rubber, Doetsh shocks & stabilizer
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2000, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have removed four sets of doors using a impact tool but the key is an oversize bit that I found at a local hardware store it fits deep and snug into the samurai screws. with a good brass hammer it has gotten easier each time I went through 2 normal bits before I found this one. if I can find a size I will post it. good luck

were not here for a long time were here for a good time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode