Big Dicks springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 08:35 PM
Loweguy

Big Dicks springs

I typed a very long post about this topic, only to have it never appear on here (my computer is a challenge to live with sometimes!). Anyway, here it is in a nutshell.

I like the looks/reputation of the BD 4" lift springs for Samurai. I like them as I can stay SPUA but get plenty of lift to clear my 31's (I also have a 2" body lift). If I decided to go SPOA, that thing would be huge and have a TON of clearance (which I doubt truthfully would ever happen)

Anybody on here running those springs? I am interested in some feedback.

Thanks

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, soon to have 2" Sky body lift, spring over, and 31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Big Dicks springs

I Don't know this for fact, but I've heard that those springs are extremely stiff. I've heard nothing but good on the Old Man Emu springs though.
Have you given any thought about going SPOA? Thats what I did and all I can say is WOW what a differance that made I really like it.
Good luck on what ever you decide on.

Rick

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We've had a couple calls form folks with the Big Dick springs, they too have said those springs are extremely stiff. In fact, it sounds as though they have taken the dubious honor in the industry away from Trailmaster as being the worst riding springs on the market for Samurais now.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 03:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Arched or Curved springs are gonna ride stiffer tha flat springs, at least at first and mainly depends on the brand and make. Good springs should have a soft spring rate, but most don't. This goes for springs beyond what is availble for just Suzuki. This soft spring will be good for you as they will give and flex better, bad for some Manufaturers if they offer a warranty as a come-on that they will be resistant to honor later, again depending on brands even beyond what's available for Suzuki.

Arched springs will eventually settle out and elongate, loosing some of it's arch or curve in the process. Now, if you want your lift to stay at the initial "when first installed" height forever, you need stiff springs, like Trailmaster.

Now try to look at it from a Manufacturers possible point of view. "If we make soft springs and they sag, people may want to exchange them because they lost lift. That's not good for the company bottom line." Now I'm not saying all, or any, makers are thinking that, but they might be. You being from NY should know that money is a powerful thing and will make some people say or do anything to make a sale.

Some spring makers make soft, arched springs because they know there is a market for them. An example is OME.

Regardless of the manufacturer, it's the construction that really matters. What is the rate? HOw thich are the leaves and how many/long? What kind of pack clamps? Do they use silicone slip pads? Do they have a slick spring coating? What kind of warranty is offered?

Now I know nothing of BDS springs. So those are questions you need to ask.

My experience has been good. I have 3" springs on mine. I was warned by some who said they would be really stiff and I'd dislike them. At first they were stiff, but they also made my rig sit higher than the 3" they were supposed to give. I was concerned and even thought of taking out a leaf.

But time passed and as I would (and still do) twist, stuff and flex the crap out of them, they have become quite compliant and ride smoother. Far cry from they way they came outta the box.

I witnessed many JC and the bigger trucks use lifted springs. In fact, many of the lifted Jeeps I've seen are done via arched spings and not SpOA. And I've seen some real stiffies, but some that flex really nice from 3-4" springs.

One big problem is folks don't adjust/lower the bump stops when installing the springs. This can cause the "positive" arched spring to go into a "negative" arch. This is a no-no if you don't want to bust a spring, even those spings with the softest of spring rates.

Knowing that, what was that thing I said about possible reasons why some spring makers might want to make there springs stiff?

Check them out well, and go for them if that is what you want. Hell, with an inch of lift on the shackles, You'll be standing tall. Or go with revolvers and it should be pretty sweet.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:26 PM

Okay, there seems to be a thread going in several locations in regards to the BDS springs. Let me tell you they ARE NOT renamed Trailmaster springs. They are a full 4" lift spring with a heavy arch. As Yankee Tim stated, to maintain that arch, the spring rate must be a little heavier. With the Samurai it is more of a trade off than other heavier vehicles. The BDS spring will feel stiff at first, but they do break in over a period of time. If you have a really soft riding spring, it WILL lose it's arch over time. Others who don't sell BDS have customers calling saying they (BDS) are stiff. They don't have experience with them (BDS). I don't sell OME, and get numerous calls complaining that they went flat. It seems when there is a problem, people seek answers elsewhere. I can tell you this, with the BDS, you have a lifetime warranty on any of their products and we will back it up. When you modify your suspension, you are in for some form of tradeoff. When you go with any lift, it is critical to get the right shocks on it. You can go with $10.00 shocks, but it is a crap shoot as to the stiffness, With a properly sized set of DT shocks, it makes a big difference. Inboarding the rears makes an even bigger improvement, even on a lifted SPUA. On Suzi (the NCO truck) I run a custom 5 leaf front spring pack, and Rancho 1.5" springs in the rear. That sounds stiff, and some people claim the Rancho springs are way stiff. Well, Suzi rides a 100 times better than stock. It is all in the setup. Suzi is SPOA with 5.5" of lift, lifted springs, plus Breeze Drop Link Shackles with long DT8000 shocks. Everyone's needs and desires are different. It depends on the budget and exactly what the owner wants to do. As mentioned, there are tradeoffs with any modification. I spend as much time on the phone with each customer as needed to make sure that they get the exact product they need for their individual goals. We have many different suspensions to pick from, and can get more if needed. If we can't match the customer with his/her exact needs, we send them to where they can get the product they need. If anyone has questions on ANY suspension for the Samurai on the market, give me a call. We want to make sure you are a happy consumer.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 07:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Kudos again, Tim.

BTW, does every Tim and Troy on the planet own a Suzuki? Starting to seem that way.:lol

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 10:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yankee Tim,

Well, uh, yes we do! By the way I have dealt with Tim at NCOffroad and I have had nothing but a positive experience. Keep up the good work!

Signed, Tim

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 31's, 1" shackle lift, Hi-lift jack, everything else bone stock.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually some of own sami's and cj's 8^)

84 cj7 Laredo Superior 1 piece, more to come.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

For real?!?!? Yeah you are. Hey, were not talking the most common of names here and the frequency of it repeating within the Zuk community is startling. Are there "other" forces at work here? Is there of some sorta "Tim" conspiracy going on? Do the Tim's of the world plan to unleash the age-old secrets of the <font color=red>Samurai</font color=red> warrior? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Toll Tootsie Pop?

The world may never know...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you know its a funny thing theres a lot of us Daves with sammis too go figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep on zukin

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode